The History of Miss Universe

Ava Shaw, Staff Writer

R’bonney Gabriel of Texas was just crowned as the 71st Miss Universe, making history as the first Filipino American to represent the U.S. The Miss Universe pageant is revered as one of the most prestigious competitions in the pageant world, with origins dating back to 1952. Throughout the years, the pageant has changed immensely, becoming more inclusive of different backgrounds, as well as having a change in core values, becoming more focused on uplifting women. However, Miss Universe has had no shortage of controversies, from onstage slip-ups, to claims that the pageant is rigged.

Miss Universe began simply as a marketing stunt when Miss America Yolanda Betbeze refused to wear a swimsuit by Catalina Swimwear. In retaliation, the brand created its own pageant, Miss Universe. The first Miss Universe was held in Long Beach, California where Miss Finland would take the crown, out of the 30 total contestants. The pageant wasn’t broadcast until three years later in 1955.

Especially in more recent years, female empowerment has been at the center of Miss Universe. Various changes have been made in hopes of making women feel more celebrated and represented by the competition. As an example, the pageant is now owned by a woman, which perhaps combats feelings of oppression provoked by previous male ownership. Additionally, the pageant now includes many more countries and allows married women and mothers to compete, diversifying the contestants. On the other hand, there are still several rules that many view as unjust and in need of change. For instance, the age limit is set to only 28-years-old. There is also a fee required to enter into the competition, preventing many poorer countries from participating.

In regards to how Miss Universe affects women, Arcadia High School (AHS) sophomore Carmen Bermejo commented, “I do believe that pageants are changing for the better, but features like the swimsuit competition make me hesitant to fully support them. I feel like the focus should be less on physical qualities.”

Perhaps the most notorious Miss Universe moment of all time was when host Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner, live on stage in 2015. Miss Colombia was falsely declared as victorious, when in actuality, Miss Philippines had earned the crown. Audiences were shocked as the crown was awkwardly taken off of Miss Colombia’s head and given to Miss Philippines. Many expressed outrage online, upset about the seemingly careless blunder.

“I thought it was crazy how Steve Harvey made such a huge mistake, but I was glad that Miss Philippines was the true winner. It made me proud because I am half Filipino,” said AHS senior Bryant Shaw.

The pageant’s most recent controversy is still ongoing, as it relates to this year’s pageant, which took place in New Orleans, Louisiana. Critics are questioning the legitimacy of the 2023 competition, believing that favoritism played a role in crowning a winner. Rumors began with the prior Miss USA pageant, as Gabriel was said to have suspicious ties to certain brands and judges. Drawing from the fact that both Miss Universe and Miss USA are controlled by the same company, many speculate Gabriel was destined to win for the wrong reasons.

Although often shrouded by controversy, the Miss Universe pageant continues on, as people from around the world tune in to the show annually. The next pageant is set to take place in El Salvador, for its 72nd edition.