Athlete Feature: Alina Ong

Ava Shaw, Staff Writer

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Girls Varsity Soccer team officially kicked off their season with an exciting game against Marshall Fundamental High School. This year is sophomore Alina Ong’s second year on the team. She began playing soccer at 10-years-old, when she joined the American Youth Soccer Organization. Ong was formerly a ballet dancer, but with encouragement from her dad, she transitioned into soccer. Soccer was the ideal choice for her, as she sought to become more fit, and wanted to follow in the footsteps of her two older brothers, who also played soccer.

Ong is currently a striker for both the high school’s team as well as her club soccer team, Tudela Futbol Club Los Angeles. This means that she plays at the top of the field and that her main objective is to score goals. Ong believes that a good soccer player possesses strength, skill, stamina, a winning mentality, and a good “soccer IQ”, or the ability to make strategic game decisions. She is also a strong believer in hard work and perseverance, which is something she has improved on over the years. 

“Soccer has taught me to never give up and keep trying. I have carried this mentality into everything I do,” Ong said. “Winning is obviously ideal, but personally the most important thing is playing to the best of my ability. At the end of the day, win or lose, what is most important for both scouting and personal growth, is how I, myself played.”

Luckily, throughout her soccer career, Ong has never faced any major injuries. However, something that previously held her back was a lack of confidence. As she has played more and more, she has learned the value of having confidence. Finding confidence has allowed her to break free from the fear of failure, and march closer to achieving her full potential. 

“When you have confidence, you can do whatever skill you put your mind to,” elaborates Ong. “Having this trait has made me a better player. Plays that I used to think were too risky, are now something I am willing to go for.”

Currently, Ong’s main priority is soccer, but she also values keeping her grades in good shape. In the future, she sees herself playing collegiate soccer, but not pursuing a professional career in the sport. Ong doesn’t have a specific dream school for college, but is looking for a place with a nice location, a style of soccer that matches her abilities, and fitting scholarships. 

Her favorite memory of soccer thus far is scoring in a first round CIF game. Ong also won Offensive MVP when she was a freshman, for the 2021-2022 season. She enjoys making her supportive team and coaches proud, whom she is incredibly grateful for, by working hard. Ong is thankful for everyone who has supported her throughout the years and is greatly looking forward to this year’s season!

Photo by Lorin Teng