Holiday Pep Rally

Emmaline Pan, Staff Writer

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Pep Squad performed at the yearly Holiday Pep Rally on Friday, Dec. 2, to kick off the holidays and the beginning of the official Varsity Basketball season. The rally featured two routines by the Varsity Pep Cheer and Pep Song teams, and took place at the Rally Court during lunch. 

The Holiday Pep Rally is only one of the various events that Pep Squad performs at. Throughout the year, Pep Squad spends hours practicing inside and outside of school hours, preparing for their performances at numerous sports games, assemblies, rallies, and competitions. 

“My favorite aspect of [Pep Squad] is definitely how close we’ve gotten as a team and the rallies we were able to perform this semester,” said first-year Pep Song senior Natalie Partridge. “The Holiday Pep Rally definitely is a representation of how we’ve grown closer as a team and a great opportunity to showcase our improvement.” 

The Holiday Pep Rally was the final rally of this semester and preluded the Arcadia Girls Varsity Basketball team’s game against Diamond Bar later that night. The Apaches lost with a score of 42-47, but they demonstrated how far they have come by exhibiting great teamwork, sportsmanship, and hard work. 

The rally began with a fun and high-energy performance by the Pep Cheer team to the song “Underneath the Tree” by Kelly Clarkson. Dressed in Christmas sweaters, they performed a series of well-executed kicks, jumps, stunts, and choreography. 

“It was great getting to perform on the rally court again and I am looking forward to cheering at basketball games this season,” said first-year Pep Cheer junior Laylanie Gomez. 

The Holiday Pep Rally concluded with an entertaining routine by the Pep Song team, choreographed to a Christmastime classic, “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms. Instead of their uniform, typically worn at all of their events, the team displayed their holiday cheer by donning Christmas-themed pajama pants and reindeer antler headbands. 

“I always enjoy watching Pep Song perform,” said sophomore Megan Wu. “They do a lot of cool tricks and I’m looking forward to seeing them at all the basketball games and at the Pep Assemblies later this school year.”

As the first semester comes to an end, Pep Squad has switched gears and has begun working towards their upcoming competition season and performances during Basketball season. Look forward to seeing Pep Squad perform at the Winter Pep Assembly in January!

Photo courtesy of AHS Pep Squad