World Cup Game: Brazil V.S. South Korea 

Victoria Mair, Staff Writer

As the World Cup games continue to excite multiple countries around the world, on Dec. 2nd, Brazil played against South Korea (also referred to as the Korea Republic), in a tough match, fighting to make it to the quarter-finals. Both of these sides were playing for a place in the quarter-final where they would face Croatia, who secured their place in the final eight by beating Japan in a penalty shoot-out in their Round 16 encounter. 

Playing with a swagger, the Latin American country led with a score of 4-0 in the first half. From the penalty spot, 12 yards from the goal, player Vinicius Jr. opened the scoring before the forward player, Neymar, also scored an additional goal from the penalty spot. Then came another forward player, Richarlison, and midfielder Paqueta, both key players who were able to contribute goals of their own. Given the way Brazil and the Korea Republic played, the game was expected to become intense during the second half. 

Just as there seemed to be no more hope for South Korea, midfielder Seung-Ho Paik, decided to make an astonishing difference and scored a goal for Korea Republic to make it 4-1. The ball was whipped in from a free kick and cleared as far as Paik at the edge of the area, and he unleashed a fine half-volley that arrowed past Allison and hit the back of the net; restoring a little dignity to the Korean team.  

“Brazil is a very well-balanced team, and with the return of Neymar, the team worked really well together and was able to play a really good game scoring 4 goals in the first half,” said Arcadia High School junior, Jasmine Abuomar. “My favorite part was seeing the Brazilian team dancing together and their fast and precise goals.”

Throughout the game, Brazil had quite an incredible performance. An absolutely dominant first half put the game to bed by the halftime whistle. The goals scored by Vinicius, Neymar, Richarlison, and Paqueta ensured that they had the cushion of a four-goal lead heading into the interval. They took their foot off the gas in the second half and Korea Republic managed to score a consultation goal through Seung-Ho Paik. However, their effort was too late and too little. 

“The game was pretty tough, but Korea tried their best and did not let the country down. I am so proud of the team and will always root for them no matter what,” said (AHS) junior Anjelina Kim. 

Both teams showcased their hard work throughout the entire game; Brazil continued to stay strong as one of South Korea’s team players, Seung-Ho Paik, did what he could to save his own. As the Korean Republic are headed home, Brazil is looking forward to a quarter-final clash with Croatia.

Photo Courtesy of WIKIMEDIA COMMONS