California DMV: The Process of Getting a Real ID

Breeanna Pham, Staff Writer

Every year, 2.29 billion Americans travel domestically each year according to the Tourism Academy. And what is needed in all ages to travel by airline both domestically and internationally? A passport. However, starting on May 3, 2023, all Californians over the age of 18 will be required to have a Real ID-compliant driver’s license in order to fly domestically. However, people under the age of 18 will not need an ID and may still use their passports. The Real ID will also allow one (if permitted) to enter a secured federal facility. 

However, one may ask, “How do I apply for a Real ID?” Well, for Arcadia High School (AHS) seniors who are 18 or above, it is a super simple process! Being 18 years of age, you are now considered a legal adult, and with that, a parent or legal guardian will not be required in obtaining a Real ID. 

And for those of you who are getting ready to get your driver’s license and aren’t sure if you should get your Real ID with it, you will be happy to know that you can! According to the Director, Steven Gordon, “a lot of new applicants apply for a Real ID, and it’s really easy to do!”

To start, go to the website, www.dmv.ca.gov, and sign into the website, or create an account. Then, after signing in, and selecting the correct domain, you will be given the option for a “Commercial Drivers License”, or the “ID or Driver’s License” option. You will need to press the “ID or Driver’s License” option.

Afterward, you will be led to a page that will allow you to finish your unfinished application or create a new one. Select the latter, as it is the simpler option and you will choose the “ID or Driver’s License” option to obtain a new ID.

Subsequently, you will be asked to answer a few questions about yourself such as your full name. You will then be taken to a screen and presented with four options to click on. If you don’t have a driver’s license or Real ID yet, you will select the one that states, “Get a card for the first time,” or if you already have a Real ID, you will select the option that allows you to renew a card. 

However, if you already have a driver’s license and don’t need to renew it but still want to get a Real ID, select the option to “Correct or update a card”. Select whether you would like to receive just the ID or your Driver’s License, which will now be able to be used for traveling domestically. 

But remember to keep in mind that you may obtain only one of those options. If you are using your Driver’s License, you must click “yes” when they ask if you plan on using it to fly, or else it will not have that capability next year when it is required. Submit the required paperwork, and then it is all completed! 

After completing the online portion of the application, you will need to go to the DMV in person with the following paperwork: an identification document (like a passport) or birth certificate that is not laminated, two documents that prove you are a California resident, and your Social Security Number.

After gathering all of these documents, you should schedule an appointment at the local DMV office, and don’t forget the documents so that they can be verified. When going, remember to bring a photo of the entire confirmation page that contains two barcodes. 

And that is it! As stated above, only people 18 years of age or older will be required to have a Real ID; however, it is possible for someone under the age of 18 to obtain one. Your guardian or parent will just have to apply on your behalf instead! Good luck in applying for your Real IDs, and don’t forget to get them before May 2025!