Brief: Marching Band and Color Guard at Mt. Carmel Band Review and Field Tournament

Sohana Sahni, Sports Editor

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Marching Band recently traveled to San Diego in order to participate in the Mt. Carmel Band Review and Field Tournament on Oct. 29. As usual, the Apache band put on a fantastic show, earning them many awards and honors. In the Band Review, the Apaches won Band Sweepstakes and 2nd place in Color Guard. During their Field Show performance, the band won Band Sweepstakes once again, Color Guard Sweepstakes, and Percussion Sweepstakes. 

Beneath the sweltering sun, the Arcadia Marching Band and Color Guard prepped to begin the parade. Under the direction of Kevin Sherrill and Tom Plunkett, the band performed “Who’s Who in Navy Blue” by John Phillip Sousa. 

After starting the parade off with a tantalizing performance by senior drum major Kaden Cho, the band began a jaunty mid tempo march. The color guard preceding the band continued in a playful dance, tossing their yellow, black, red, and white flags in the air and carrying a bright red Arcadia sign. 

With loads of school spirit, the band marched forward in melodious glory, with a strong brass and woodwind performance consistent throughout the song. After stunning in the parade Band Review, the band moved on to their Field Show performance.

Led once again by senior drum major Kaden Cho, the Marching Band and Color Guard performed their song titled “Searching for Serenity” for their field show performance.

Starting off with a whimsical tune, the performance began at a slow tempo, led mainly by the higher register woodwinds. The band moved in synchronized figure eight motions, performing waves across the field, and marching in flawless harmony. Eventually, the tempo began to speed, with the Marching Band emphasizing their skilled percussion section, and the song began picking up pace. As the performance continued, the music swelled and ebbed in tempo and intensity, and the song ended in a triumphant trill of brass and woodwinds.

“Our band did an amazing job implementing the new choreography we were given in our show and really focusing on being visually pleasing, filling the role of finding serenity,” said junior tuba player Mariam Malki.

The Mt. Carmel show was a success in many aspects for the Apaches, and students in the Marching Band are proud of their high placement and multiple awards.

“My favorite part of the Mt. Carmel band review would definitely be winning 4 out of the 5 sweepstakes trophies against Rancho Bernardo, who placed first at our championships last year while we placed second,” said Malki.

Overall, the AHS Marching Band and Color Guard put on a fantastic show at the Mt. Carmel Band Review and Field Tournament. Come out and support your Apaches at their next show, at Arcadia Festival of Bands!