2022 French Exchange Students

Be on the lookout for more news on the French exchange program to come!

Madison Yee, News Editor

An annual tradition for the Arcadia High School (AHS) French program, this year, 24 students from Trévoux, France came to visit Arcadia for two weeks from Oct. 18 to Nov. 1 to live the California lifestyle. 

For those taking French at AHS, many students have been anticipating this exchange program for a long time—especially after it was put on pause and altered due to COVID-19. 

“I’ve been looking forward to this ever since I joined the French program, and it’s like having a sister,” said senior Avari Wang. “It’s cool to know another culture, especially since she’s the same age as me, and I’m really excited to take her around the city. Halloween is not a big thing back there, so we’ll hopefully take them trick or treating and to the haunted house.” 

Throughout their trip, the French exchange students came to AHS with their hosts to experience a typical school day featuring the various courses offered, lunch, and the overall environment. They also had the opportunity to experience an American Halloween and visit popular California attractions such as Universal Studios and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

Upon arrival, 16-year-old French exchange student Louise Cordier described her first time in America to be just like High School Musical, with her host’s neighborhood resembling Desperate Housewives

While driving to Arcadia from the airport, Cordier was also able to look at the extravagant Halloween decorations, which she enjoyed because she doesn’t typically see it back home. “I’ve only seen Halloween in the movies, so when I came, I was looking at all of the houses,” she said. 

Speaking of Halloween, the French students and their hosts had a fun time at the haunted house hosted by AHS’ Pep Squad. “The haunted house was great, the organization was great, and I loved it! We don’t have anything like that in France. To celebrate Halloween, we will go trick or treating and then to celebrate my birthday, I will maybe go to a party with all the Americans and all the French! In France, we don’t usually dress up for Halloween and trick or treating is only for young children,” Cordier expressed.

Comparing school life in France versus California, Cordier also noted that the elective classes were very different because in her hometown, they don’t offer extra curriculars like ceramics, band, or sports teams. Being able to attend classes that she wasn’t familiar with helped her learn more about America in numerous ways, especially in terms of the different schools, government system, and more. 

Overall, Cordier’s highlight of the trip was “meeting new friends and discovering a new culture.” 

Aside from learning about America in general, she also said that she “discovered a lot about Avari and her family, who were incredible during [her] trip.” “I will never forget them,” she said.

On the other hand, for 17-year-old French exchange student Pacôme Forest, he “was most excited to go to Universal Studios and the Santa Monica Pier because they are well-known tourist attractions and because [he] loves roller coasters.” 

Throughout his stay, Forest’s first time in America lived up to his expectations and he recalled that “the people here are very nice and they give off good vibes,” he said. 

Looking back, Forest explained that the exchange program allowed him to “improve [his] English and experience a new culture [which] broadened his perspective on the world.” His host, senior Theo Hung, and his family also taught him about the Taiwanese, Chinese, and American cultures. 

For Hung, although it was stressful at times to balance his workload with hosting, he mentioned that seeing Forest’s “happiness at events or intrigue in trying new foods made the whole experience worth it.” “The highlight of this trip has been taking [Forest] to the Lakers game. Bonding over the game of basketball and making his dream of watching a basketball game made this whole experience worthwhile,” he said. 

Similarly, Wang shared her thoughts as well. “At first, it was definitely a bit intimidating, but we quickly bonded and have gotten extremely close within these two weeks. Not only Louise, but all the other French students were extremely friendly and unique. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them,” she said. 

Not only has hosting enabled AHS students like Hung and Wang to share America’s culture, it has also brought the opportunity to connect with the French students on a more personal level. For instance, Hung and Forest have bonded over their love for sports and outside activities like ping pong and basketball. 

Wang, too, voiced how she “feels so lucky that [she] happened to choose Louise, who [she has] so much in common with.” “We’re both athletes and are really busy day-to-day balancing school and extracurriculars. At one point, [Louise] even said that I’m like the American version of her, and we bond over other shared interests like music and our pets,” she said.

In the end, the hosts and French exchange students were able to gain lifelong friends, and make unforgettable memories along the way. 

“This exchange happens every year, so each year of French students will have the chance to participate in this amazing program. It truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to partake in it. Although French is arguably not as popular of a choice compared to Spanish or Chinese at AHS, I believe that choosing French has opened so many doors for me, and I hope future students who are on the fence about their language choice consider the amazing French program we have here,” said Wang. 

That being said, this school year, the French program will be hosting another group of French students in February, so be on the lookout for when the time comes!

Photos courtesy of Louise Cordier and Avari Wang