Georgia Passes Campus Carry Bill

Alyssa Rave, Staff Writer

Recently, Georgia passed a bill regarding the issue of weapons on university property. Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed off on the Campus Carry Bill, otherwise known as the House Bill 280, which provides the right for college students to carry a concealed firearm in specific areas and buildings of their college campus. Prompted by the Virginia Tech Shooting and similar events, different bills permitting college students to carry some sort of weapon have been approved in about 10 states since 2007, with more than 15 other bills of the same nature coming to light in 2016 alone.

The debatable bill was a subject of controversy when it first emerged last May, causing Governor Deal to veto and call for better outlines of the bill. This time, however, the new version met the demands of lawmakers by keeping a firearm ban on places where minors may be present and ensuring that concealed carry is not allowed in student housing or sporting events. Despite some backlash from communities, other citizens and students advocated for the bill to pass. Ja’Quan Taylor, a student at Georgia Tech, vocalized his support for the bill after it passed, “It’s comforting to know that the right to protect myself doesn’t end the instant I walk onto campus grounds, especially when considering [that] I spend a huge portion of my day there.” The clashing perspectives on the subject continue to bicker over the idea that one may abuse the bill, but Georgia lawmakers are fairly certain that the new law will discourage violent happenings by providing others with the option of self defense by conveniently carrying another weapon.

Whether the bill will follow through and cause Georgia students to feel safer overall remains unsure, but Governor Deal remains hopeful. Following his HB 280 veto the previous year, he believes the new law will contribute to protecting the state’s learning environment with the added restrictions introduced in the current version. As for other colleges, they may follow suit if beneficial results are observed regardless of gun control arguments continuing around the country.