Varsity Girls Tennis vs. Hoover

Samantha Luan, Staff Writer

On a warm Thursday afternoon, Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Girls’ Tennis Team played against Hoover High School (HHS) on October 6th at AHS. Varsity defeated Hoover by a large margin, despite Hoover putting up a good fight, with Varsity’s final score being 18-0.

In tennis matches, there are three singles players and three doubles teams. Each player or team plays three rounds, adding up to nine games in total, where they play one set with the opposing team. There are 18 possible points in every match. Arcadia played extremely well, demonstrating their skills and proving why they’ve been so successful in recent competitions, by winning all 18 sets.

“I think that tennis players work extremely hard and try their best to improve their technique and movement. Hoover was noticeably extremely supportive because there was a coach motivating a player since she was losing. You could say perseverance is an important factor in tennis and in sports overall,” said freshman Alyssa Ferguson.

“The match with Hoover was like any other match. We did our best and our hard work paid off which led us to another win in our league. I think that so far, our team is doing well and I hope everyone will continue to do their best in future games,”  said senior and co-captain of the Varsity Girls Tennis team, Lynn Chen.

When asked about her favorite part of playing tennis, Chen replied, “one of my favorite things about tennis is meeting new people and making new friends!”

The Varsity Girls Tennis team is competing in the Pacific League and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), as they have in the past. CIF is the governing body of high school sports in California, with divisions for every sport and 10 sections for different parts of California. Championships are held by individual sections. 

The Pacific League is a league made up of Arcadia High School, Burbank High School, Burroughs High School, Pasadena High School, Muir High School (note that Muir does not have a Girls Tennis team), Crescenta Valley High School, Hoover High School, and Glendale High School. Arcadia plays these teams every season, and we play each team twice, once at home and once at their school.

“The girls are working hard and playing well,” commented the Girls Tennis Coach Ruth Lagace. “We are 10-0 in the league, currently in 1st place. And our overall record is 14-1. There are two more league games in the next week and our goal is to win the league and do well in CIF.”

Arcadia is in Division I of CIF, which is the top division of the overall championship. The competition is very difficult, especially at such a high division, so good luck to our Girls Tennis team in the remaining league matches and CIF games! They’ve already been doing a brilliant job so far, and they certainly have the ability to win. 

Congratulations to the Girls Tennis team for winning the match against Hoover High School!

Photo courtesy of Alysia Shang and Vania Ahmadi