Upcoming 2023 PSAT/NSMQT

Clarissa Suryapranata, Staff Writer

The Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test (PSAT) offered at Arcadia High School for the 2022-2023 school year will take place on Oct. 25. This standardized test is open for all freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who wish to measure their reading, writing, and math skills. The National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT) available for juniors is established for those looking into entering the National Merit Scholarship Program, an annual academic competition for recognition and college scholarships.

Sophomores are not required to purchase the PSAT, as the Arcadia Unified School District typically provides this service to assess their college-preparedness. Juniors are highly encouraged to take the PSAT/NMSQT as it grants them a chance to gain scholarships. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) offers a broad range of scholarship opportunities at different levels of accomplishments.

Requirements needed to participate in the NMSQT are as follows: the student must attend high school in the U.S.; the student must be enrolled as a student in high school whether it be traditional or homeschooled; the student must take the test no later than their third year of high school.

Scores earned on the PSAT/NMSQT will be sent out to the NMSC, a co-sponsor of the test, to have the index score calculated and reviewed, which will then determine whether a student meets NMSC program entry requirements. Of the millions of students who enter nationwide, 34,000 students with high index scores on the test would receive Letters of Commendation. These students will then become candidates for scholarships sponsored by certain private businesses. However, Commended Students do not proceed further in the National Merit Scholarships competition.

As students pass the Commended Scholar stage, they are named National Merit Semifinalists. Semifinals is the next stage of accomplishment for students with a higher index score than those of Commended Students. For the 16,000 students who make it into semifinals, they must continue on their journey and advance to finals to be considered for a National Merit Scholarship. Requirements needed to move up to finals include consistent high academic performance throughout the student’s high school years, submitting a completed application to a high school official, and taking the SAT or ACT to confirm an outstanding performance. In February, approximately 15,000 Semifinalists will be chosen to advance to finals.

Winners of the National Merit Scholarship competition are selected from the exceptional group of Finalists based on their capabilities and accomplishments throughout the entirety of the process. Information on the Finalists’ academic record, school’s curriculum, index score, and activities/extracurriculars will be accounted for, as well as their own written essay. From the beginning of March, NMSC will determine 7,250 Finalists to receive a National Merit Scholarship award, including National Merit $2500 Scholarships, corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards.

To aid in preparing for the PSAT/NMSQT, students are recommended to visit the College Board website for full-length practice tests with sample passages and questions for the reading and math sections. Additionally, a physical copy of the PSAT Student Guide along with a practice test is available for pick up at Mrs. Marianne von Kriegenbergh’s desk in the Curriculum Office. This helps students become familiar with the testing style and rules to avoid confusion on test day.

Best of luck to those taking part in this fall’s PSAT/NMSQT!

Photo courtesy of FLICKR