How to Discover your Passion

Kayli Mak, Writer

When we were younger, we knew exactly what we wanted to do in the future and what we wanted to be in life. We planned to grow up to be space cowboys, international spies, and superheroes with amazing, non-spandex costumes. Now that our childhood dreams are dead, it is a little bit more confusing. We need to choose classes based on our interests, and our decisions about college majors loom overhead. So to make this whole process a little less tedious, there are a few ways to find your true interests.

High school freshmen and sophomores are encouraged to spend as much time as possible considering varying areas of interests to find things that excite us. For example, try reading, volunteering, and extracurriculars such as sports, art, music, or anything of that sort. Experiment with any and all activities that you find fascinating, and make sure to stick with the ones you actually take pleasure in doing.

Let us say that you have found an activity that you really enjoy. After this, it is time to apply these interests to your academic life. The matter of application is a little bit easier if you have chosen an interest like calculus, physics, history, or languages.

However, if you have found yourself obsessed with a hobby or pursuit that does not seem even remotely school-related, like camping, the best thing to do is to find connections. In the case of a subject like camping, think of what you truly like about it. For example, if you enjoy the nature aspect, perhaps think about exploring an academic field like environmental studies or biology. These include, but are not limited to: climatology, environmental law, sustainability science, and hydrology.

Once you have found a specific subject to focus on for the remainder of your high school or college life, perhaps going to school will not seem as pointless and confusing.

Of course, in order to make sure that you do not lose interest in your particular topic, it is best to continually investigate and analyze the various subtopics. Go farther into the depths of what you are passionate about. If you are still struggling to find an enjoyable educational subject, do not be afraid to branch out and try something new. Getting out of your comfort zone is a great way to learn new things and get involved in some very interesting activities.