New Teacher Feature: Ms. Ung

Keep reading for new teacher features to come!

Annie Jiang, Staff Writer

The school year has undoubtedly been off to a terrific start. Recognizing the positive impact current staff and new teachers have brought this year, The Arcadia Quill would like to acknowledge Ms. Flora Ung, both a previous Arcadia High School (AHS) student and writer for the school newspaper, and also a new teacher this year!

Ms.Ung is teaching both sheltered biology (SDAIE) and AP Environmental Science (APES). After graduating from AHS, she received her teaching credential for biology from the University of California, Irvine. Before this first year at AHS, she taught at Gabrielino High School and Westminster High School.

Many teachers have faced enormous challenges during the pandemic, and the same applies to Ms. Ung, especially as a science teacher. She claimed that the period when she taught online school was “really stressful under the circumstance of limited interactions”and that “being in person is a lot more interesting” since in-person school offers her sufficient time to get to know students more. 

For teachers, doing all of the transition work to students and school after this very special time imposes a great challenge.

“I was super nervous at first despite all of the possible difficulties, but my experience of being here for the first few months has been so good.” Ms.Ung said. “The staff are super welcoming, while the students are motivated. I am grateful that I am being constantly checked on.”

Ms. Ung enjoys the interactions she has with people through in-person settings. She hopes to strengthen her relationships with other staff as well as her students. She describes the relationships she builds as her “inspirations for teaching.”

“When I was a staff writer for Pow Wow, the previous newspaper name for The Arcadia Quill, Mr. Johnny Lee, who used to be an advisor for the newspaper, helped all of the students so much. He was the type of teacher who constantly recognized your accomplishments and shaped you as a well rounded individual,” said Ms. Ung. “The way Mr. Lee developed students into who they are as people” motivated her to want to be a teacher like him, she continued.

When asked about her advice toward students, Ms. Ung encouraged the need for seeking assistance.  She offers a lot of time for her students to work in class, so that “they have enough time and opportunities to reach out for help.” She also suggests the amount of resources at AHS are always available to students for academic support. 

Ms.Ung views science as the study of everything around us, and contends that “all of the subjects in science are  really good for people to make informed medical decisions.”By being a science teacher as well as a helper in the Arcadia Biomedical Engineering Society, a group that focuses on the pathways toward biomedical engineering, she expressed her enthusiasm for science. 

Besides the time Ms. Ung dedicates to her classroom and subjects, she enjoys exploring her surroundings from different perspectives. She likes gaming and is currently helping to run Arcadia E-Sports. She is also an advisor for Link Crew, shifting from her previous participation in Link Crew as a student. 

We are more than honored to have Ms. Ung, former AHS student and newspaper contributor, to join our family again! With the appreciation of all new faculty at AHS, this year is going to be even better than last!