The Wellness Center x AHS Library Presents: Makers and Players

Michelle So, Campus Focus Editor

If you were to walk into the Arcadia High School (AHS) Library on Oct. 3, you would have been in for a surprising sight: dozens of high school students huddled over smooth stones, painstakingly adding details to their miniature canvases. The atmosphere was rich with a youthful buzz, reminiscent of elementary school art class. Students passed around markers, waited in the queue for their desired colors, and complemented each other on their work.

This childhood rejuvenation was exactly the effect our school librarian, Ms. Shannon Will, hoped to achieve. She teamed up with Dr. Deja Anderson, the school wellness counselor, to create Makers & Players. The collaboration between the AHS Library and the Wellness Center has led to a series of fun activities that will be held during lunch in the library every two weeks, from Oct. 13 to Dec. 1.

The unusual name is a combination of the two types of activities occurring throughout the semester, which vary from competitive to calming.

“We were thinking about either having [the activities] be creative or games. And so we decided, ‘Why don’t we call it Makers & Players,’” said Dr. Anderson.

Ms. Will and Dr. Anderson planned these fun events, intending to allow students to destress while exploring various artistic interests.

“Last year, Ms. Will and I saw that when we did creative activities, like painting and crocheting, students really liked that,” said Dr. Anderson. “We figured, what a great space to use, and what a great way of merging two departments. Like [Ms. Will] will often say, the library is an extension of the Wellness Center.”

The past two events–rock painting and button making–have already far exceeded the expectations of both hosts.

“I think there are certain activities like rock painting or button making that students sometimes will think, ‘Oh, it’s too juvenile or too childish,’” said Ms. Will. “But then they end up participating and really loving it!”

Since the start of Makers & Players, the exposure for our school’s Wellness Center has gone up. As the school year progresses, students are finally learning about the many resources available to them on campus.

“I feel like we are getting more visitors to the Wellness Center,” said Dr. Anderson. “More students are feeling comfortable checking in with me. No one has said anything yet, but they seem to enjoy having that place to go when they’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed, or just want someone to talk to and be that outlet.”

For Ms. Will, her favorite part has not only been seeing engagement increase but also getting to know the many students.

“As a librarian, I see so many students on a daily basis, and getting to know them through activities like this has been really fun and meaningful,” she said.

If you are interested in participating in these stress-relieving activities, check out the flyer above for upcoming events. Meanwhile, both Dr. Anderson and Ms. Will added that students can tag the AHS Library (@arcadiahighlibrary) or the AHS Wellness Center (@arcadiawellness) on Instagram with photos from prior events or just give them a follow for future updates. As always, the Library and the Wellness Center are safe spaces open to all students, so don’t be shy to check them out sometime!

Graphic courtesy of AHS Wellness Center