Roger Federer Announces His Retirement

Michelle Ho, Staff Writer

Roger Federer, often referred to as the Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T) of tennis, has officially retired from the sport at the age of 41. Tennis fans mourn over the loss of one of the ‘Big Three’, including fellow greats Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. Federer announced his retirement at the 2022 Laver Cup, where he played his final match as a doubles with long-time rival Nadal. The Swiss player’s presence on the professional court will be missed, and his achievements will be remembered for many years to come.

Federer was born on August 8, 1981, in Basel, Switzerland. As a young child, he played soccer and began playing tennis at 8-years-old. After realizing his potential in tennis, Federer quit soccer when he was 12-years-old, choosing to focus solely on tennis. By the age of 14, Federer was already Switzerland’s junior champion, and in 1998, he won the Wimbledon Junior Championships and the Orange Bowl Junior tournament in Miami, Florida.

Beginning his adult career, Federer debuted in the Swiss Davis Cup, reaching top 100 in ATP rankings and placing at number 64. Throughout his profession, Federer would go on to win 20 Grand Slam titles in singles, his last Grand Slam win in 2018 at the Australian Open.

“The stats speak for themselves as far as the 41-year-old Swiss maestro is concerned: 20 Grand Slam titles, 28 Masters 1000 titles, six Year-end Championships, 103 career titles, 310 weeks as World number 1…[m]oreover, Federer is the only player to have won five consecutive Wimbledon as well as US Open titles,” said Subhadeep Roy.

Federer’s fruitful career clearly shows that he was talented, but what made him so successful? Many who have seen him grow and adapt throughout his career will note how the young 16 year old player matured quickly into a professional mindset, able to remain focused and calm on court. In addition, the Swiss player’s aggressive and quick play style allows him to dominate on faster-paced grass courts, with his regular baseline technique and the occasional serve-and-volley to finish the point quickly. Federer’s elegant one-handed backhand gives him the iconic shot that tennis lovers recognize and will certainly miss upon his retirement. 

Even with all his amazing accomplishments, Federer is, ultimately, a human with human ailments. Injuries due to his knees and his age have weakened the tennis player, and after several surgeries and a number of recurring injuries, Federer has been forced to withdraw from several tournaments; the cause of his retirement can be largely attributed to the damage his knees have sustained.

“Even though we all didn’t want him to retire, he had to one day as his knees and Bodley can’t support him forever…he’s had a legendary career and changed the sport as a whole,” said Arcadia High school freshman Lucas Xue.

Tennis lovers got to see his amazing tennis play one last time at the Laver Cup 2022, where he partnered with Nadal in a doubles set. The game ended with a loss to Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe in 4-6, 7-6, 11-9. Despite the loss, Federer remained happy and let his emotions display freely, often cracking jokes with Nadal and just enjoying playing tennis professionally one last time.The match itself was emotional and quite light-hearted.

“It does feel like a celebration. It’s exactly what I wanted at the end, exactly what I hoped for,” said Federer.

After the match, players from opposing sides alike gathered around Federer, lifting him into the air to honor the G.O.A.T. of tennis in his last tournament. Most emotional of all was Nadal, Federer’s archrival since he arrived on court as a competing power against Federer. Through many tears and hugs, Nadal talks about the loss of such a great tennis player.

“A lot of years, sharing a lot of things together…when Federer leaves the tour, an important part of my life is leaving, too,” said Nadal.

“Federer’s retirement is a devastating loss because just as I started getting serious about the sport, my favorite player retired…he’s a champion off and on the court,” said Xue.

The retirement of Roger Federer has put sorrow into the hearts of many people, but he will continue to impact professional and amateur players alike. Even off-court, Federer’s incredible career will be analyzed and praised as a prime example of the best tennis player of all time.

Photo courtesy of FLICKR.COM