The Next James Bond Actor

Nathan Chen, Staff Writer

James Bond’s 25th installment, No Time to Die, is one of the best James Bond films ever. It’s not because of the array of modern gadgets, or electrifying action scenes, but rather, this movie accomplishes the impossible. James Bond has died, concluding Daniel Craig’s franchise tenure in a shocking, but satisfying way. In the meantime, there leaves a vacancy for other actors to fill.

But first, what makes James Bond Bond? Well, according to American film producer Barbara Broccoli, who currently controls the James Bond franchise along with her half-brother, “It will have to be reimagined.” Broccoli then adds, “That’s what is so exciting and fun about this franchise; the character evolves. Eventually, when we have to think about it, we’ll find the right person.”

In the meantime, when asked this question, Sophomore Sabrina Lo stated that she expects  James Bond to be “brave, charismatic, and to look athletically fit.”

So what would be some potential actors to replace Daniel Craig? At the top of the list includes Henry Cavill, with odds of 2/1;  Rege-Jean Page; with odds of 7/2; and Idris Elba, with odds of 4/1. 

Henry Cavill gained a love for acting with school plays of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. At age 17, Cavill was recruited to play Albert Mondego in The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). At age 20, Cavill gained starring roles in I Capture the Castle (2003), Hellraiser: Hellwood (2005), Red Riding Hood (2006), and Tristan + Isolde (2006). Notably, in 2005, Henry Cavill was a final choice for the role of James Bond in Casino Royale (2007), before losing to Daniel Craig. 

In addition, he held a minor role in Stardust (2007), acting alongside Sienna Miller and Ben Barnes. Between the years of 2007 to 2010, Cavill had a leading role in The Tudors, which was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 2007 and won an Emmy Award in 2008. He played Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk, and the magazine Entertainment Weekly named him the “Most Dashing Duke.” Henry Cavill also played Superman in the DC Extended Universe and August Walker in Mission Impossible: Fallout (2008).

Rege-Jean Page started acting in 2001, playing Tanaka in the television series Gimme 6. He made guest appearances in Casulty@Holby City (2005), Fresh Meat (2013), and Waterloo Road (2015). Page is currently set to star in an unnamed heist film for Netflix. Former James Bond actor Pierce Brosnan gave Page the “seal of approval”, telling Entertainment Tonight he would be a “wonderful” choice to replace Bond.

Idris Elba started his acting career in BBC’s Crimewatch, whose first broadcast was on June 7, 1984. He landed a supporting role on a 2001 episode of Law and Order and landed a starring role in HBO’s The Wire (2002). His most noteworthy role is in BBC’s crime thriller series Luther, where he played London detective John Luther. James Bond producer Broccoli told Deadline that Elba was a “magnificent actor.” However, Elba, entering his 50’s, might be too old to play Bond. If selected to be James Bond, Elba would be the first black actor to play the role.

When asked to select a replacement actor for James Bond, Sophomore Rijul Garg said, “Henry Cavill as he worked in other action movies.” Garg also added that Cavill had previously “Won many awards and almost became the James Bond actor in 2005.”

Sophomore Iris An also believed that Henry Cavill should get the role “out of experience and popularity,” adding that his movies have “more viewers.”

Perhaps no James Bond actor has ever left the series in such a dramatic way as Daniel Craig. Craig definitely left big shoes to fill, but the James Bond community is sure that Cavil, Page, or Elba is certainly able to fill them. In the meantime, we just have to wait. Who knows what kind of person James Bond will be in the future? But one thing is certain. The things that make Bond Bond—the bravery, charisma, fit spy will remain the same.

Photo Courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM