Pennies Should Stay In Our Currency

Emily Lee, Staff Writer

Do pennies really make a difference? Although many agree the extinction of pennies is necessary, pennies provide benefits that help people financially in need. The preservation of pennies will keep costs down for consumer products that may benefit low-income households. Pennies may also encourage others to donate to charity or organizations to help people within reach. With an economic perspective, pennies are more cost effective than nickels. Thus, pennies should be kept as our one-cent currency. 

“‘The alternative to the penny is rounding to the nickel, and that’s something that will negatively impact working families every time they buy a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk,’” stated Mark Weller, Executive Director of the pro-penny group Americans for Common Cents.

Based on the U.S. Federal Reserve, minorities are most-likely to pay by cash instead of credit-card.  Raymond Lombra, Professor of Economics at Pennsylvania State University, agrees the impact of the removal of pennies will “be regressive, affecting the poor and other disadvantaged people groups disproportionately.” Rounding charges alone would exceed over $600 million. As the removal of pennies becomes favorable for almost all households, the one-cent currency must remain constant. 

The donation of leftover change to a non-profit organization is undoubtedly another positive of the penny. Oftentimes, pennies are easy to ask for and to give. Hence, children have an opportunity to ask for donations that aren’t too much to ask. 

Consequently, the existence of pennies has provided a great opportunity for charities to earn money and support an important cause. For example, USC’s Penny Harvest program opened an opportunity for children to choose the organization to donate the money earned. This offered children the chance to gain significant leadership abilities and engagement of the community. 

Although many may argue pennies cost more to make than their actual value, it is not the only coin with such high expenses. In fact, pennies have lost the least amount of money from production. Compared to nickels, it would cost $10.9 million more to manufacture nickels rather than pennies. 

The one-cent piece should remain a type of currency of the U.S. The benefits of pennies will continue to provide a positive impact on today’s economy, as well as charitable organizations. Thus, the influence of pennies should be furthered and should not be stopped. 

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM