Class of 2026 Freshman Assembly

Class of 2026 Freshman Assembly

Jose Gama, Staff Writer

The year’s first assembly was held on Aug. 19, for the Class of 2026 for further information about the great things Arcadia High School (AHS) has to offer. The crowd echoed with small talk as freshmen waited for the event to start. Then ASB President Benjamin Oh appeared onstage, and began the assembly all the freshmen had been eagerly waiting for.

The assembly discussed clubs and other organizations AHS has to provide, to assimilate new freshmen into the school, and make freshmen feel more welcomed on campus.

After the ASB Executive Council and ASB Directors Dr. David Seiler and Dr. Jorge Muñoz were introduced, sports for the year were presented by the Athletics Commissioner Jocelyn Wang. Each sport got its own slide on a Google Slide, with each getting around two to three slides.The sports were divided into three categories representing each season – Fall, Winter, and Spring – throughout the school year. This period of the performance had the most energy, with freshmen cheering hard for sports such as football, baseball, and basketball. The only requirement to try out and stay on a sports team is to maintain a 2.0 GPA.

Afterwards, Academic Commissioner Brandon Chang came out to introduce the academic teams of AHS. The Arcadia Quill interviewed Commissioner Chang after the assembly to ask him why he believed the energy was so low compared to sports. He said that students don’t really know what to expect from the academic teams, and that was the reason there wasn’t any cheering. His message to the freshmen at the assembly was to “try  [the academic teams] out, you might really enjoy it.” 

This assembly provided freshmen with an idea of what to expect during their first year of high school. This assembly was “much more of a success than the previous ones,” said Oh. He stated that there was much more energy in this assembly than in previous ones. The year is looking good already, and there is much more to come!

Graphic courtesy of AHS