Teens are Worried About Wrinkles

Kaitlynn Trinnh, Staff Writer

How did this fear of premature aging develop? In a time where social media is an outlet for people to express themselves, it can also set unrealistic skin standards. On the platform Instagram, many women and teens post pictures of themselves for others to view. This prompts other teens to feel insecure about themselves for not having the smoothest, perfect skin. However, many creators have spoken up about editing their pictures to erase any imperfections. These include wrinkles, blemishes, visible pores, dark spots, discoloration, and texture. Retouching tools have become a staple on platforms like Instagram. While retouching isn’t a new concept, it’s becoming increasingly more evident in many photos. 

Many brands have also begun to capitalize on the stigma around aging with young customers. Anti-aging products are generally not directed toward older consumers now. Instead, brands have shifted their target toward teens. Societal conditioning has morphed more teens to stray from wrinkles, leading many brands to capitalize on this fear. 

The increased insecurity over “perfect skin” and “anti-aging” has driven numerous teens to develop skincare obsessions to prevent indications of aging. Many teens note their fear of contact with the sun, as the sun is known to cause skin damage. Others remark about their 10-step skincare regimen. The ten 10-step skincare routine began in South Korea but gradually gained exposure in the West. The regimen consists of many products, all with different purposes. It looks somewhat like this: an oil cleanser (1), a water-based cleanser (2), an exfoliant (3), a toner (4), an essence (5), a serum (6), a sheet mask (7), an eye cream (8), a moisturizer (9), and lastly either a nightly mask cream or SPF (10). Although most of these steps aren’t necessary for everyone, many who tried the regimen reported several benefits. 

“Being in a world where the desirable looks are youthful, I, of course, have become influenced to have perfect skin,” remarked Arcadia High School (AHS) sophomore Anya Lai. “Also, being in a family where my mom has grown up with toxic Asian beauty standards, I have always been pressured to achieve that wrinkle-less, baby face skin.” 

“I am not afraid of developing wrinkles; it is natural to develop them when you grow old,” stated AHS sophomore Justin Darmali. “I am never pressured by societal standards because no one has perfect skin. Most teens at school and the people I talk to have acne already.”

Ultimately, aging is a fear that is becoming increasingly evident in this day and age. Countless teens are expressing their fear on varying platforms and showing others how to prevent signs of aging. Though there is a growth in awareness about maintaining a good skincare routine, some teens are not afraid of developing wrinkles. It seems that wrinkles are subjective to the eyes of the beholder.