Arcadia Apache Football Vegas Trip

Sohana Sahni, Sports Editor

The Arcadia Apache Football team took a trip to Canyon Springs, Las Vegas from Aug. 18 to 20, to start off the 2022 Football Season with a bang.

After arriving in Las Vegas, the team was welcomed with a beautiful campus tour and admission presentation at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV). Following the tour, the Apaches conducted a team bonding bowling game. After senior quarterback Jonathan Maldonado committed to the University of Nevada Reno (UNV), the Nevada area has become a special place to the Apaches, and being able to visit was a great learning opportunity for the players.

The team also allowed the team to have valuable time to let loose and have fun before a stressful season.

“I would have to say my favorite memory of the Vegas trip was probably the free time we had at the hotel rooms and getting pre-game ready before the game,” said junior Luke Guerrero.

The Apache Football team became nervous as the days edged closer to the big game. For the first time, the team experienced a collegiate level game day, beginning with a group buffet breakfast and engaging in a walk-through practice with the UNLV football team. After a lunch loaded with carbs, they felt confident to dominate the competition and boarded the bus to the game of a lifetime. 

In a tough, neck-to-neck game, Arcadia eventually lost with a score of 14-18. While the outcome of the game was not ideal, the Arcadia Football team engaged in an extremely valuable and fun learning experience which they will carry for a lifetime. 

After enjoying valuable bonding time and practice with their teammates, the Varsity Football team now looks towards a grueling season, hopefully filled with success. Having a 1-4 record in league last year, the Apaches had a less than ideal 2021-2022 season. In the new year, they look forward to improvements in the team record. Players on the team believe that the recent trip will improve their gameplay in the future and help their team chemistry. 

“The trip made us bond more as brothers than teammates and we became more [like] a family, so I think being together  helped us play more effectively,” said Guerrero.

After recent losses towards Monrovia High School and Lawndale High School, the Varsity Football team is more motivated to work hard and win than ever before. Be sure to come support our Apaches at their next football game against Woodbridge High School this Friday, Sept. 9!

Photos courtesy of Coach Antyone Sims