How to Have a Productive Summer

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

As the last bell of the school year rings to indicate the start of summer, many students initially feel excited and energized to finally be out of school with no homework, tasks, or academic obligations. However, as time passes, these students soon find themselves bored with nothing to keep them busy or to pass time. If this happens to be you, here are some ways to make the most out of your summer. 

For starters, if you want to keep your academic muscles strong, you can take a summer course. Many community colleges allow high school students to take courses during the summer, and depending on where you go to college, this might be an opportunity to earn college credit. These summer courses may also be offered at local high schools or online platforms and are a great opportunity to build your GPA while keeping your brain working hard. If you do end up doing this, make sure you contact your counselor to verify that the grades you earn will count for credit towards your high school graduation, college applications, and more. If registration for summer courses has closed up, you can always start studying for standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT through services such as Khan Academy. Although many colleges have gone test optional or do not accept standardized tests anymore, a few colleges still do and a good score can help with scholarships and be an additional boost on your college application.

If you wish to work or have hands-on experience in a field that interests you, you can look for a job, internship, or volunteer opportunity. Many fast-food restaurants and retail stores start hiring at ages as young as 14 years and although the hours you can work are more limited than those of a 16- or 17-year-old, jobs are a great way to earn some money while gaining experience in areas such as customer service, social skills, and collaboration. High school students can also find internships at local businesses, startups, and more by creating an account on LinkedIn or looking on Indeed. Internships as a high school student can prove extremely valuable and allow students to gain experience working in a professional setting. Volunteering can also allow students to gain first hand experience by means of supporting a cause they are passionate about. Volunteer opportunities can be found at local charities, organizations, libraries, and more. 

“I think volunteering is super fun especially when you do it with an organization that has a mission that you support,” stated Arcadia High School junior Julienne Granadino. 

Lastly, if you want to be productive this summer without any obligations of a class or boss, you can start a passion project. A passion project is exactly what it sounds like: a project that expresses your passion. It can range from anything from an online blog to a small business, a passion project can be anything you want it to be. A passion project is meant to show your creativity and embrace your passion, and you are not contained to a single topic or subject when you do a passion project. Passion projects are a great way to expand your creative boundaries over summer when you have more free time than usual and can serve as an opportunity to turn your hobbies into something bigger.

Overall, there are many ways to have a successful, productive summer, but remember that summer is an opportunity to take a break, and do not forget to have fun!

Photo courtesy of Angello Pro