Happy Retirement, Mr. Lisbin!

Left Image: 1975
Right Image: 2020

Left Image: 1975 Right Image: 2020

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

A requirement to graduate from Arcadia High School (AHS) is to pass Algebra, and it’s safe to say that the math department is one of the most important. Amongst all the different levels of math and teachers, one individual has shown his passion for teaching and kindness to students. And after many years, he will be retiring. Congratulations and a big thank you to Mr. Barry Lisbin for his retirement after 30 wonderful years of teaching!

Mr. Lisbin has taught Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2, and has guided generation after generation through their early math journeys. Having graduated himself from AHS in 1975, Mr. Lisbin went on to teach here, inspired by his amazing teachers. Additionally, his mother was also a teacher at Santa Anita and Camino Grove Elementary School, which fueled his teaching passion even more. 

Through his years of teaching, Mr. Lisbin has accumulated many valuable lessons and friendships. He’s formed close connections by teaching alongside his high school teachers and new staff members. In addition, Mr. Lisbin has accumulated countless memories with his coworkers, bonds that will last a lifetime. 

“He went with me when I went to get my wife’s engagement ring made. He was there for everything,” stated Geometry teacher Mr. Ray Mynster. 

“I do consider many of the staff here at AHS, and not just those in my department, to be  friends. I will miss seeing many of my fellow staff members on a regular basis,” Mr. Lisbin said.

As he ends this chapter of his life, Mr. Lisbin’s departure is both bittersweet and well deserved. 

“I coteach with Mr. Lisbin. We have been working together for three years. I will miss his humor and great way of explaining complicated math concepts to students. He has a great way of connecting hard ideas and making it easier to understand for struggling students. He also has a great sense of humor. He will be greatly missed!” said his coteacher, Ms. Stephanie Spitz. 

Many of his fellow coworkers are going to miss him incredibly, but are very happy for his long awaited downtime. Mr. Lisbin looks forward to spending more time with his wife and family and not having to grade any more math assignments. 

When asked what legacy he would like to leave, Mr. Lisbin said “that [he] really helped [his] students to grasp a thorough understanding of the curriculum and that [he] helped prepare them to be successful in future math classes, both in high school and in college.”

His coworkers can agree that Mr. Lisbin has truly made an impact on Arcadia High School’s staff and students, from his guidance to wisdom. 

Mr. Mynster expressed how Mr. Lisbin is “honest and lets students know how [math] will affect their future.” 

Mr. Lisbin has also expressed a few words of advice before his departure, as Mr. Lisbin hopes all students are not afraid to ask for help. 

“As the old saying goes “You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink,” he said.

Photos courtesy of AHS Yearbook