Podcasts are Taking Over the World

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

Over the past few years, podcasts have become a staple in the lives of many people. People often opt to listen to a podcast over watching a movie or listening to music. Podcasts have risen as a source of not only entertainment but also a source of information. This sudden emergence of podcasts has posed one question: why and how have podcasts become so popular? 

For starters, podcasts are simply more convenient than other visual forms of entertainment. People can listen to podcasts while driving, folding their laundry, working, etc. Podcasts pose as a great source of “background noise” that doesn’t completely lack substance and allows listeners to multitask and catch up on the latest news and events. Podcasts are also found on many popular audio streaming platforms such as Spotify, making them easily accessible and available to download whenever listeners feel the need to listen to a podcast.

Another reason why podcasts have grown in popularity is that they are entertaining. There are a variety of podcasts and genres that cater to different audiences. Many audio entertainment companies have started to create podcast shows, that are like a typical TV show but just the audio, consisting of a plot and different characters. There are also many business podcasts, health and wellness podcasts, drama and gossip podcasts, and more that appeal to the taste of many people, and there is basically a podcast for everyone on the internet. 

Many influencers and popular figures on the internet have also started to create podcasts, drawing in their regular audiences and more people that might find the podcast interesting. By bringing special guests and talking about popular topics, these figures bring in tons of listeners. 

Podcasts have also made their way into the education system, with teachers assigning podcasts as homework assignments as opposed to watching a video or a movie. For example, some AHS AP English Language students had to listen to a podcast and complete a journal and write part of an argumentative essay, all circling around the podcast. The AHS Constitution Team recruitment process also incorporated a podcast, showing how podcasts aren’t just for entertainment and can also provide people with information. 

“I think podcasts help people multi-task easily and I also like who they help build multi-tasking skills,” stated AHS junior Selina Ho. “Podcasts aren’t just for entertainment either and can still provide information on news and current events. I liked the podcast assignment because it was efficient. I didn’t have to sit down and designate time to watch a movie or read a book and I could do the assignment from anywhere.” 

Overall, podcasts have emerged as a new source for information, entertainment, and more. With more and more people listening to podcasts every day, it is safe to say that they are a relevant and important part of today’s society and with the multitude of genres, there is something for everyone and something that everyone will like. 

Photo by Vika Strawberrika