Applying for College: Everything You Need to Know

Simone Chu, Editor-in-Chief

Juniors are at an exciting point in their high school careers, now. It’s almost the summer before senior year—one last summer break before they begin the long series of last firsts that is senior year.

That being said, take heed, juniors: college apps are approaching quickly.

To make the process a little less intimidating, here are some tips for college apps that I wish I’d known last year!

Make/revise your college list now.
You’ll need to turn in a list of schools that you’re applying to early on in the school year so that the counselors can do counselor recs! Think seriously about factors like the environment, student life, and cost. Know that your idea of where you want to go will change. (Bonus tip: college meme pages on Facebook are an excellent way of figuring out what the culture of a college campus is like.)

Start brainstorming early. If you’re like most people, you tell yourself that you’re going to start working on yours early. (I did too.) But don’t feel the pressure to write just yet. (If you have the inspiration to write, however, go for it!) If you have no idea where to begin, like me, start by brainstorming a list of 25 things about yourself and move on from there. Self-reflection is key for a good college essay.

Have fun while you’re writing. This sounds difficult—aren’t college apps supposed to be intimidating, not fun? But this is perhaps the most important piece of advice I can give. If you’re not having fun while writing your essay, chances are that the admissions officers aren’t going to have fun while reading it. Really let your inner voice shine through; this might be the only time in your life when people genuinely want to hear your entire life story.

Make a spreadsheet of deadlines. Helpful things to keep track of: application deadlines, financial aid deadlines, and possible decision dates. Also, try setting your own personal deadlines to turn in applications. If you get your applications done before winter break, you’ll be free to enjoy and relax over break.

Hopefully, these tips will help ease you into the process. Best of luck, class of 2018!