Girl Scouts

Girl Scouts

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

From Thin Mints to Samoas, almost everyone has heard about Girl Scout cookies before. Although Girl Scouts have gained popularity throughout the years due to their famous cookie sales, Girl Scouts are so much more than cookie-selling machines. In reality, Girl Scouts is an organization that enables girls to empower themselves and others, and it promotes character, leadership, entrepreneurship, and citizenship through actions that benefit the community. 

There are six beliefs in Girl Scouts: make friends, find adventure, give back, be a boss, earn recognition and awards, and have fun.

Make Friends: Through the Girl Scouts environment, girls will interact with one another and create meaningful friendships. The camaraderie of the troop and the relationships created at camp offer opportunities for girls to learn more about their communities, themselves, and others. Girl Scouts get to expand their networks, develop communication and social skills, and learn about new perspectives. 

Arcadia High School (AHS) sophomore Alison Yamada stated, “Girl Scouts has let me make new friends and interact with people that I would have not been able to before.”

Find Adventure: There are plenty of journeys that Girl Scouts could take. From camping in parks to traveling to new communities and cities, there are a handful of ways that Girl Scouts can experience the world and let their inner adventurers run wild. 

“I like having a troop to do fun activities with, like camping and going hiking,” said AHS junior Lana Diep. 

Give Back: Girl Scouts always give back to their communities, no matter how big or small the gesture is. Some troops organize donation drives, develop programs in educational facilities, advocate for certain changes in their communities, and more. Girl Scouts are most known for giving back through their Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards. 

AHS junior Kailey Leba claimed, “My troop has completed the Silver Award together, and I am currently starting my Gold Award where I am working with a school district.”

Be a Boss: By being a Girl Scout, you learn more about decision-making, work on team building, and focus on being both fair and responsible. Girl Scouts get to set goals for themselves and their troops and work towards these goals through adversity that may come their way. 

Diep remarked, “Selling Girl Scout cookies has taught me important business and people skills that I would not have gained otherwise.”

Earn Recognition and Awards: There are badges and awards that exemplify a Girl Scout’s hard work and dedication to certain tasks and projects. Earning awards shows the world that a new skill was earned and how this skill was used to make a difference in their community. 

“I have sashes with a lot of different badges from various activities that I have completed with my troop. It’s cool to see all of my work being put together on a memento,” Yamada said. 

Have Fun: Girl Scouts is meant to be a refreshing, exhilarating, learning experience that can be enjoyed every step of the way. Girl Scouts create memories, learn more about things around them, and earn a feeling of accomplishment and home. 

“I like Girl Scouts because I get to spend time with friends and go to fun activities with the money we raise from cookie sales,” Leba stated. 

Yamada reminisced, “My favorite memory was helping decorate the Rose Parade and going camping with my entire troop.”

The Girl Scout Organization stated, “Everything Girl Scouts do builds their curiosity, kindness, and can-do spirit. And as they earn badges, help their community, and deepen their friendships, they’ll also have a blast along the way. It’s what Girl Scouting is all about.”

No matter your grade level, you can always join Girl Scouts! At any point from kindergarten through twelfth grade, the option to become a Girl Scout is welcome with open arms. Kindergarten to first grade is when girls will become “Daisies”; second to third grade is when girls will graduate to “Brownies”; fourth and fifth grade is a milestone in which girls become “Juniors”; sixth to eighth grade is when girls transition into “Cadettes”; ninth to tenth grade is the transformation into “Seniors”; eleventh to twelfth grade is the fledge into “Ambassadors.” 

Go support your local Girl Scouts!

Photo Courtesy of GIRL SCOUTS