Premiere Orchestra’s Knott’s Berry Farm Performance

Aahana Dutta, Staff Writer

Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Premiere Orchestra performed at the Forum Music Festival that took place at Knott’s Berry Farm’s Walter Knott Theater, on Mar. 11.

Premiere Orchestra, which was formerly known as Symphony Orchestra 1, is a new division of Orchestra, which is an open-level ensemble for students from grades 9 through 12. It was formed last year after the restructuring of the orchestra from three to four orchestras. 

According to the curriculum guide, Premiere Orchestra is “a training orchestra focusing on fundamentals, proper technique, and ensemble musicianship through performance of a variety of orchestral literature covering a wide scope of musical eras and styles. Students also have an opportunity to work in a small ensemble. Performances include concerts, recitals, and music festivals.”

The only prerequisite for this course is for the student to have a year of string orchestra or something equivalent. Permission from the instructor can also be used to fulfill the prerequisite. It is recommended that students have prior playing experience, but it’s not a prerequisite. 

Ms. Pin Chen, the Premiere Orchestra teacher, said that “this was Premier Orchestra’s very first festival ever.”

Despite this being their first performance, Premiere Orchestra’s concertmaster Freshman Yang Pan received the Outstanding Musicianship award, whereas the orchestra itself earned a gold rating. 

The Forum Music Festival’s official website describes the festivals as “adjudicated music festivals throughout California.” 

The festival included performances by many different orchestras, bands, jazz bands, and choirs.

For sophomore Melissa Young, this was her first time performing in a festival, and it was an exciting and fulfilling experience.

This was completely a new experience for me, as this performance was my first ever festival,” said Young. “It was also my first time as section leader, so I felt a lot of responsibility for us to do well.”

Young also talked about how the Orchestra’s hard work contributed to their success. 

“The Premiere Orchestra worked really hard on all three pieces every day, and I’m so proud of our orchestra for getting a gold rating at the Forum Festival!” expressed Young.

Talking about her experience while performing at the festival, Young said that “getting on that stage was a bit nerve-wracking, but I think we performed well nonetheless.”

Lastly, she concluded by mentioning how unforgettable the experience was and how she hopes this victory brought prestige to AHS.

“It was truly an exciting and unforgettable experience,” stated Young. “I certainly hope we were able to bring prestige to our school’s orchestra program.” 

AHS’ Premiere Orchestra did such a phenomenal job, and we are all so proud of their stellar achievement!

Photo courtesy of Ms. Pin Chen