April Fools’ Day (No Joke!)

Lorin Teng, Staff Writer

You thought this would be an article? April Fools’! Just kidding. Or not. When April Fools’ Day comes around, you can never trust anyone, whether it’s a prank from one of your friends or “extra homework assignments” from teachers. April Fools’ Day is just an excuse to mess around with someone and pull pranks all day long. Historians are confused about where April Fools’ Day originated. However, they have multiple theories as to where it was founded.

Hilaria in Ancient Rome

Hilaria is the celebration of the Cybele-Attis cult and is celebrated from Mar. 15 to  25. During this festival, it involves people of higher social status dressing up and mocking fellow citizens.

Switch from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar

In 1582, France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar. Some people were not caught up with the switch, and those who knew mocked them by having paper fish placed on their backs and being referred to as “poisson d’avril” (meaning April fish), said to symbolize a young, easily caught fish and a gullible person.

Vernal Equinox

During the Vernal Equinox, Mother Nature can fool people with sudden weather changes.  For example, blooming flowers, rain showers, and warm weather are signs of change. 

What is Your Favorite Prank to Pull on Others?

Sophomore Nhi Dong said, “I like the fake gum taser because I like how the fake gum looks and others’ reactions to getting tasered.” 

Sophomore Darren Lee said, “I get an iPhone box that you get from the apple store when a new phone comes and give the empty box to someone. When they open it it says ‘April fool!’ ” He loves to see the excitement in their eyes and their surprised faces when realizing it was just a prank.

Sophomore Farrah Chan said, “My favorite prank to play on others is the whoopee cushion prank. I like this because it is a classic and it is fun to see others’ reactions.”

No matter what prank you pull, April Fools’ Day can be arguably the best holiday ever!

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM