Santa Anita Says Hello to the Fair

Kai Wetterau, Staff Writer

Recently, a new attraction has been announced to open up at Santa Anita Park, letting visitors enjoy a day of fun starting Jul. 21. It’s been called the “State Fair,” no relationship with the official California State Fair though, held every year in Sacramento. The full fair is set to run until Aug. 20, with attendees being able to buy tickets online.

This event will host live bands and other forms of entertainment, including but not limited to delectable fried treats and traditional fair rides. Such an attraction almost always comes around to Arcadia, giving people something to do during the summer. It’s almost an annual tradition, following its loss in 2020 due to coronavirus. Past events have included such esteemed performances by Barefoot Nation and Led Zepagain, and this upcoming season will surely host more.

Tickets are needed to be bought for parking as well as for admission, though both can be purchased for reasonable costs ranging from $10 to $30. From there, visitors have the freedom to choose how much money they want to spend on food, and can go on rides for as long as they please with hours ranging from about 4 p.m. or 11 a.m. to midnight. As the fair is a mostly outdoor and nighttime experience, it’s important to dress appropriately and prepare for cooler weather.

Health guidelines for the safety of all attendees mainly incorporate whatever the CDC puts out, and further information that changes as time passes can be accessed on the fair’s website.

Other popular forms of entertainment present at this summer’s fair include a barbershop quartet and a dual-act of both comedy and juggling. The variety of such an event highlights the openness of the fair to all, meaning anyone from all ages or backgrounds can have a good time while attending the fair. Things as remote as motorcycle stunt shows are currently scheduled for showing, bringing in an even bigger demographic of people. Sophomore Brandon Lee really enjoys the thought of this; the variety of shows interests him.

“When I heard about the summer fair, I was ecstatic about what was to come! I especially enjoyed hearing about the motorcycle stunt show and the daring feats that demand attention!”

Traditional food will be available for purchase, such as funnel cakes and turkey legs; in conjunction with this, other foods friendly to dietary restrictions will be present, whether that be a salad or non-wheat products. Guests are able to enjoy their food while at one of two concerts per weekend, or while waiting in line for classic fair rides.

The fair closes its gates as of 11 p.m., meaning visitors have to act fast to get in late before the event is over. While in the last few hours of each day’s exhibit many things begin to close down, those at the fair can still look at and buy different items and products while at one of numerous vendor stands selling a great variety of things. Freshman Rohan Thakur explained what he wanted from these many shops, as some things sold here only come once a year.

“I really want to get something that shows summertime at the fair, as usually places never sell anything for the season. This includes towels, plushies, chairs, clothes, and more.”

The so-called “State Fair” is one event people shouldn’t miss; it’s a place for visitors to come for as many weeks as they want. It’s something that will make this year’s summer much more enjoyable and busy, and can serve as fun for everyone attending.

Photo courtesy of SANTAANITA.COM