Stop Taking Advice from the Internet

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

With the growing popularity of social media, young adults have grown accustomed to relying on social media and the internet for counsel. Whether it be mental health issues or family problems, young adults are slowly losing the ability to reach out for help to a reliable and trusted source. Not only is advice from a stranger on social media unreliable, but it can also lead to more damage and further the severity of the issue, which could be avoided if a professional was contacted for help. 

For starters, young adults have started opening up about their mental health struggles on social media (specifically TikTok) and it has sparked a global conversation about mental health in teenagers. Although this is not a bad thing, it has led many young adults to think of social media as an outlet or as therapy, causing them to think of social media and the internet as the first place to go when an issue arises. The advice from people who are not professionals when it comes to mental health can be extremely detrimental and in some cases, invalidate the issues of others. 

Viewing social media and the internet as a quick fix, young adults do not know how to work through issues or problems successfully and find an effective solution which can further worsen their issues as an over usage of social media can lead to depression and anxiety. After sharing their problems on social media and receiving advice from others, young adults fail to go through the issue themselves, learn from the issue, and prevent it from happening again. 

As opposed to leaning on the internet for help, young adults should reach out to professionals and qualified people who can provide advice that will actually help in the long run. For instance, the Peer Counseling option offered by our school’s Wellness Center can help students talk about concerns when it comes to school and life in general and provide them with relief. If someone is struggling with mental health issues, they can reach out to the National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) for support groups or further assistance as well as the Suicide Prevention Hotline, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and other resources that can be found through the American Psychological Association

Although it is good to destigmatize mental health and talk about it more openly, it is better to seek counsel from a trusted source that is more likely to leave you with advice that will stick. It’s okay to ask the internet what color your shirt should be or where you should eat, but when it comes to topics as serious as mental health, it would be better to take advice from a professional. 

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM