Athlete Feature: Evan Huang

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

At Arcadia High School (AHS), our Varsity Baseball team has proven to be a formidable opponent this season and is most definitely a force to be reckoned with. Junior Evan Huang, outfielder for the AHS Varsity Baseball team, offered insight into the ongoing season and detailed his personal experience with the sport.

Huang began playing baseball at eight-years-old, and “ever since then, [he has] fallen in love with the game.”

“To be honest, I started playing baseball because one of my friends encouraged me to join. I played soccer and football before, so baseball was not my first sport. However, in the end, I stuck with baseball and haven’t looked back since,” Huang claimed.

You can catch a glimpse of Huang hard at work during practices and games, alongside the rest of his teammates. From practicing and pushing himself to become better day by day, that is evidence enough to demonstrate how much he loves the sport.

In addition to his genuine love for baseball, Huang strongly believes that “one of the greatest perks of baseball is the team aspect and the memories you make as part of the team.”

“My favorite part of baseball has to be, hands-down, the everlasting relationships you create. Just this year, I have gotten close to some of the seniors and players on the Varsity team. It is going to be sad when the seniors leave after this season,” remarked Huang.

On Mar. 8, the AHS Varsity Baseball team started their season with a spectacular winning record of 8-0 against Hart High School. Not only did they start their season as a major threat to the competition, but they also won the Pizza Chalet Tournament for the third time on Feb. 24. They defeated Charter Oak, Northview, San Dimas, and South Hills in this tournament.

Huang acknowledged, “I think that the AHS Baseball team is doing so well this season because of the team’s work ethic. Although it isn’t seen, we practice executions that play a pivotal role in winning games. As one wise man once said, ‘practice makes perfect.’”

In terms of practices, Huang stated that “practices are fun” and that they “usually have the same routine every day.” Of course, the degree of practice depends on the team’s performance from the day before. In those cases, “the intensity of practices can be ramped up or turned down.”

The relationship between all players on the team is crucial to the group’s success because a dysfunctional team has no chance of achieving as great of accomplishments as a team that blends seamlessly with one another.

“Our team chemistry is truly unmatched. We always have each other’s backs and will always pick one another up. I’ve known many of the players on our team for at least five years. We crack jokes all the time and are having a good time together,” Huang said.

Although the season is not nearly complete, the team already has spent a lot of time together, on and off the field, and has created handfuls of fond memories.

The AHS Varsity Baseball team has created goals to strive for and reach throughout their season, both individually and as a whole team.

Huang personally looks forward to “going undefeated and getting better as the season goes on. [He] wants to make every moment special and not take it for granted, and ultimately win a Division 1 CIF Southern Section plaque.”

To all the rising baseball players out there, Huang put it best: “Have fun and be confident. Confidence goes a long way, and it starts with believing in yourself.”

Keep up the great work, AHS Varsity Baseball team!

Photo courtesy of EVAN HUANG