Current Volunteer Opportunities

Ainsley Najafzadeh, Staff Writer

With Summer break quickly approaching, many Arcadia High School (AHS) students are seeking volunteer opportunities within our community to gain experience and volunteer hours.

Arcadia’s Volunteen Program offers a variety of volunteer options tailored to students’ strengths and interests, enabling students to develop leadership skills and gain work experience. It is applicable to people between the ages of 13 and 17. Volunteers must be able to contribute at least 10 hours per week for the duration of the summer program and applications will be available beginning Monday, Mar. 14. Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 15.

Volunteers are always welcome at Arcadia Library, as they are needed to help with various tasks. Volunteer programs at the library provide opportunities to fulfill community service requirements. People of all ages and skill sets can apply to be a volunteer. The library asks that volunteers commit to volunteering at least two hours per week for a period of at least six months for the majority of volunteer jobs. To volunteer, you must be at least 13-years-old.

Freshman Sabiha Ahmed said, “I believe that volunteering is a good way to help others while also learning about your community and environment. It can also improve a variety of skill sets and let you practice your hobbies. Volunteering will allow you to break out of your comfort zone and try new things.”

In addition to Arcadia’s volunteer options, Sierra Madre and Monrovia both have upcoming volunteer opportunities. The “Carnival in the Park” at Sierra Vista Park is now asking for volunteers for 2-hour shifts during the event. The Stars Athletic Foundation is also looking for volunteers to assist with gymnastics sessions on Friday afternoons from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in Monrovia. Helping with equipment set up and with one class of children aged 7 to 11, would be some of the responsibilities of a volunteering session. Volunteers do not need to have any prior gymnastics experience, as they will provide you with the necessary training.

AHS has a number of clubs that allow students to learn about volunteering and supporting their communities, one of which is Interact Club, a club where you can participate in numerous community events as a volunteer. If you’re still having problems discovering volunteer opportunities, TeensVolunteer offers a wide range of options for teens who wish to help out in their communities.

Graphic courtesy of PIXABAY.COM