Olivia Rodrigo Drops Teaser For New “Sour” Documentary

Madison Yee, Staff Writer

Ever since her chart-topping debut album Sour, singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo has introduced exciting news without fail. On Feb. 17, she dropped the official teaser for her upcoming project, Olivia Rodrigo: Driving Home 2 U (a Sour film). Directed by Stacey Lee and produced by Interscope Films and Supper Club, it is set for an exclusive Disney+ debut on Mar. 25. 

This comes as no surprise, given that Rodrigo’s newfound fame has soared, while she has become the new Generation Z sensation. Through eleven captivating songs that are perfect for jamming out in the car, the pop album has received a massive influx of positive reviews from audiences around the world. 

“This is a unique film experience where for the first time, fans will understand how her album came to be and why it was such a personal journey for Olivia,” said Ayo Davis, president of Disney Branded Television in a statement. “This is not a concert film per se, but really, an opportunity to experience first-hand how Olivia Rodrigo became one of the biggest music stars of the day—and a chance to see her perform the songs from Sour like never before.”

In the 30-second preview, the documentary is described to be “the story behind the #1 album,” along with small snippets of Rodrigo in the studio, enchanting performances, and words of wisdom from the 18-year-old Grammy nominee herself. 

“I think I just wanted to tell people what was going on in the back of my head in a way that was proud and not ashamed,” said Rodrigo in the trailer. “Coming from this place of hurt, I managed to turn it into something [I’m] proud of, there’s like nothing better than that.”

The film will take viewers through a behind-the-scenes look at Olivia Rodrigo’s process of writing Sour, which begins in Salt Lake City, through to Los Angeles. Raw and intimate, Rodrigo will share the memories and feelings she experienced when writing the album. There will also be live performances of her songs at places including the Mojave Airplane Boneyard, Roy’s Motel & Cafe, Arcosanti, and the Red Rock Canyon State Park, with special appearances from those such as Jacob Collier, Blue DeTiger, and Towa Bird. 

“I can’t wait to watch Olivia Rodrigo’s new film and get to know her even more,” said Arcadia High School sophomore Skye Escobedo. 

Sophomore Kailani Yamashiro is also excited for the release and says that the trailer only made her more “ecstatic to see what [she] can learn about Olivia Rodrigo and her album through the documentary.”

That being said, what are your thoughts on this announcement? Overall, fans are stoked to see what Rodrigo’s documentary has in store for them and are ready to watch it as soon as it is released. Already, she has hosted events such as “Sour Prom”, “Sour Car Wash”, and more along with her upcoming “Sour Tour,” so many are also on the lookout to see what else she does next for her growing singing career.