Arcadia Baseball vs. Hoover

Kai Wetterau, Staff Writer

Our Arcadia Apaches recently played the Herbert Hoover Tornadoes, winning 4-1 on Mar. 4. They played exceedingly well, keeping up their continued 9-0 game win streak, and will continue to do what they do best. The game was like most others, with the Apaches taking the lead and pushing on through, only giving up one run midway through the game.

The team started out as strong as ever, running to bases as fast as one can. A fiery score in the first inning got the team pumped and on their way to push for a victory. The Apaches rallied together to continue scoring throughout the early game, ready to play their best. The second inning was much the same, with Arcadia taking their time and tiring out the opposing pitcher until he let fly multiple hits, resulting in a total of two more runs. The now 3-0 score increased the confidence of Arcadia, letting them ease their way into the middle of the game. As the Apache defense was as strong as ever, no runs were ever possible. Arcadia’s pitcher was so focused that he was able to continue to strike out players, only ever letting in one hit throughout his time in the game.

As the middle of the game progressed, both teams began to tire out more, and consequently, no runs were scored in the third and fourth innings. Hoover was anxious about needing to make a comeback, though Arcadia wasn’t letting up. The Tornadoes had many daring plays, even scoring a couple of hits, though all the balls were quickly fielded and prevented any real offensive progress.

Suddenly, Arcadia’s pitcher was swapped to rest up his arm and let another finish off the game. With a bit of a rocky start, the bases began to be loaded as outs were made here and there. In an effort to regain their footing, Hoover used quick thinking to bag one run, getting the Apaches to be slightly worried about getting out of the inning. Luckily, the team was able to get just out of the inning and was able to regain the size of their lead with a score by sophomore Jerry Carlos, leading the score to become 4-1 at the end of the fifth inning.

Since there were only two innings left, the Tornadoes began to become desperate to change the outcome of the game, though to no avail. Long-drawn-out innings continued as the final outs began to be counted. Arcadia easily closed out Hoover, slamming three consecutive outs as the game was called.

Sophomore Gabriel Lopez was glad about how the game ended and stated his feelings.

“It was a good game. We came out a little flat, but in the end, took the win.”

Arcadia continues to do well, making them the favorite in the Pacific League. Having no losses allows them to claim a good spot when the playoffs come around. The Apaches, excelling so much at the sport, most likely have some to improve on, though not much.

Photo courtesy of DCI