Britney Spears is Set to Pen a Tell-All Memoir

Emmaline Pan, Staff Writer

Britney Spears has just landed a record-breaking $15 million dollar book deal with publishing company, Simon & Schuster. 

The high value book deal is the result of a reported bidding war between many publishing firms, and is said to be one of the biggest of all time, matching the book deal granted to former President Bill Clinton for his 2001 autobiography, My Life. The deal was announced to the public on Feb. 21 by news outlet Page Six.

News of the deal comes about three months after Spears’ 13-year conservatorship was terminated. Since then, the singer has been very vocal about her estrangement from her family, and the abuse she suffered from her former managers Lou Taylor and Robin Greenhill. It has also been a fresh start for Spears, who is engaged to marry her longtime partner, Sam Ashari, and teased new music on Dec. 22 via her Instagram. 

Spears’ book is set to be her first confirmed project since her legal woes ended. It is described by reports as a “tell-all memoir” that will detail the singer’s rise to fame, relationship with her family, and experience living under conservatorship. 

Spears’ sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, recently released her own memoir, Things I Should Have Said, where she explained her side of the story. She wrote that the singular intent in establishing the conservatorship was to keep Britney “safe at a time when she couldn’t do that for herself.” She added that her team was “concerned with [Britney’s] instability at the time [which] made her untrustworthy.”

The memoir sparked a high-profile feud between the sisters. Both siblings took to their various social media platforms and media outlets to express their frustrations. 

Britney accused her sister of lying, writing on her Instagram,I wish you would take a lie detector test so all these masses of people see you’re lying through your teeth about me !!!! I wish the almighty, Lord [would] come down and show this whole world that you’re lying and making money off of me !!!!” 

Meanwhile, in an interview with Nightline’s Juju Chang, Jamie Lynn claimed Britney often exhibited “erratic, paranoid, and spiraling” behavior.

The older of the Spears’ lawyers eventually sent a cease and desist letter, threatening to take further appropriate legal action should any further defamation occur. 

Some fans believe that Britney’s new book is an intended response to her sister’s book. However, an anonymous source close to the singer disputed these theories on CNN

Many of Spears’ fans are excited for the release of the memoir. 

“I’m really looking forward to the release of Britney’s book because I am a big fan of her music,” said Arcadia High School freshman Megan Wong. 

“I didn’t know much about Britney Spears’ conservatorship before #FreeBritney trended on TikTok,” commented freshman Elizabeth Lee. “I was really shocked about everything she went through and I’m interested to learn more in her book.”

Spears has not yet publicly commented on her plans for the book.

Photo courtesy of WIKIMEDIA COMMONS