The 2022 Orchestra Side by Side Concert

Michelle So, Staff Writer

The Orchestra Side by Side concert is a yearly event that allows advanced elementary school musicians to play alongside the high school orchestra. On Saturday, Feb. 12, younger students joined Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Symphony Orchestra in the Performing Arts Center for a five-song selection. Each song was led by a different conductor, allowing music teachers from every elementary school to get a chance to perform with their students. Even more surprising, the combined orchestra only had two rehearsals before bringing their work on stage. Their performance, however, came off as a well-rehearsed ensemble.

The afternoon recital opened with the high school orchestra performing three pieces: The Red Pony by Aaron Copland, Variations On A Theme By Tchaikovsky by Anton Arensky, and Suite For Strings – IV. Dashing Away by John Rudder. The advanced and fast-paced songs allowed the younger players to get a sense of the difficulty level of high school music. If they stay in the orchestra program, it will only be a few years until they begin playing similar-level pieces. 

After the brief preview, Mr. Conrad Hemming (Highland Oaks, Holly Avenue, and Hugo Reid) opened up the second half of the concert with Hunter’s Chorus by C.M. con Weber, arr. Richard Meyer. Ms. Cindy Liu (Baldwin Stocker, Camino Grove, and Longley Way) came in afterward with the classic Spring, from The Four Seasons, by Antonio Vivaldi, arr. Richard Meyer. Immediately following, AHS director Ms. Pin Chen conducted Jasmine Flower arr. Douglas E. Wagner, a well-known traditional Chinese folk song. Ms. Mandy Azose (Highland Oaks, Holly Avenue, and Hugo Reid) led the student favorite Shoe Symphony by John Caponegro, which included lots of physical movements and rhythmic gestures. Lastly, as a grand conclusion, Ms. Connie Tu, the AHS Assistant Orchestra Director, presented Dragon Slayer by Rob Grice, which incorporated percussive instruments along with auditory storytelling of a battle between a warrior and a dragon.

Junior Nathan Vuong has been playing cello for nine years and was able to take part in the Side by Side concert this year. Orchestra has allowed him to have an artistic outlet whilst giving him the opportunity to perform with friends. 

“I really enjoyed the Side by Side concert,” said Vuong. “My partner seemed to enjoy playing in Orchestra, and I’m glad that I could have been some help to her.”

Aside from playing the same instrument and love for music, student performers got to socialize with each other. Vuong found that both he and his partner shared an interest in science.

“As I made small talk with my partner, I found out that… she was interested in marine biology and how she wants to have a career in the future that allows her to help wildlife,” Vuong said. “Although my partner seemed very shy and quiet, she opened up more when talking about marine biology.”

The history of the Side by Side concerts goes back years. Many of the Symphony players at AHS participated back when they were only fifth graders.

Sophomore Krista Lombardi plays the viola at AHS. Interestingly, she was one of the young musicians chosen to perform five years ago. 

Lombardi took the opportunity to spread her passion for viola, which she said “started off as an accident.” For those who don’t know the difference between viola and violin, the violin is higher pitched and has a high E string while the viola is slightly bigger and has a deep C string.

“I wanted to play the violin at first, but… on the form we got from school, [my parents and I] wrote down viola because we thought it was the same thing,” Lombardi said. “I couldn’t tell the difference until a few weeks after I started playing. Since then, I thought it was a unique instrument that I became pretty good at over time, so I kinda just stuck to it. I definitely hope that the elementary school students at some point in their musical journeys… will definitely consider [playing viola] because seriously, I think the viola is one of the most underrated instruments out there.”

“It was exciting to see all of the elementary school kids for the first time and even getting to meet my partner,” said Lombardi. “I loved how Ms. Chen made the rehearsal interactive, especially for the elementary kids, like introducing them to the bass and viola, some jokes here and there, etc. Overall, it was a fun experience getting to perform alongside [younger students] and being an inspiration to them, and to be honest, they did really well at the concert.”

Again, the Side by Side concert concluded with success. For musicians on both sides, the rehearsals and concert were definitely something to remember.

Photo courtesy of Arcadia High School Orchestra Council Historians