Childhood Songs

Childhood+Songs

Sophia Li, Staff Writer

Sitting in the backseat while listening to the songs the radio would play were the days of my childhood. As my parents would drive me around from activities, I would pass the time by listening to new songs, picking up new phrases and words I had never heard before. Looking back, I’ve come to realize the importance of childhood songs, as they can often serve as inspiration and motivation, and greatly structure children to become the young adults they are. No matter what type of music you listened to growing up (or even if you didn’t listen to music growing up), there is no doubt that it has played a role in shaping one’s life. 

To start, childhood songs provide a new way of life. Listening to new phrases, words, and grammatical structures opens up a whole new world of a child’s vocabulary and their possibilities with learning. Especially for children with immigrant parents, listening to music with culture like pop music helps children familiarize themselves with a new aspect and way of speaking, as songs incorporate slang and catchphrases into them. Additionally, the meaning and enthusiasm of songs can help provide a new way of life. From the music videos to the lyrics themselves, songs can provide a whole new world where children can be encapsulated in. Many times, music videos may be deemed cheesy or over-the-top, but they hold the power to inspire and help open up a children’s mind. 

In special scenarios, childhood songs and songwriters can bestow a renowned sense of ingenuity and inspiration to children listening to them. For example, in the case of the Turpin children who were held captive by their parents and abused, one brave sibling, Jordan Turpin turned to music when she was younger to inspire her to seek help. Out of twelve other siblings, Jordan Turpin was the one brave enough to run away from home and seek help. In an interview. Turpin shared that watching Justin Bieber videos provided an important lesson, which opened her eyes to the world around her. Through watching his music videos, she realized that the world out there had fun, dance, and laughter, not things that she experienced at home. In a way, Bieber was much more than just a singer, as he inspired her to save herself and her other abused siblings. Through Bieber, she was fascinated and inspired, and his motivational words about life and loneliness really helped her. 

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Turpin stated, “I would watch a lot of Justin Bieber. “As Long As You Love Me,” “Boyfriend,” and “Baby” [are my] favorite Bieber songs, but it was really his interviews that woke [me] up to the outside world and the fact that there was more to life than the strict existence [of my] parents.”

Additionally, songs can also serve as a fighting mechanism for whatever children are going through, serving as strength, bravery, and the persistence to fight through the problems one may have in life. For many, songs like “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten, “Rise Up” by Andra Day, “Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys, and “This Is Me” by Keala Settle are among many other, are songs that inspire young boys and girls to keep fighting through the challenges in life. For instance, young cancer patients battling through life-threatening cases can also turn to songs that inspire them and help them fight through their illness.

Inspiration songs like these contain lyrics like ‘I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I’m meant to be, this is me,’ ‘But I see it in you so we gonna walk it out, And move mountains,’ and ‘Like how a single word, Can make a heart open, I might only have one match, But I can make an explosion’. These phrases and lyrics on songs heard by children can help wipe away negative stigma that may plague their home or school environment, and can many times catalyze their reaction to building confidence and strength. Especially in a generation where there are many differences among children and young teens, it’s especially important that these songs speak to children to prompt inclusivity and to embrace the differences between people. 

“For me, I enjoyed listening to Taylor Swift when I was younger, as her songs were about romanticizing life, and I liked the message that they portrayed,” Lana Menck, a sophomore at Arcadia High School (AHS), shared. “She was always really positive, and I liked the vibes that she gave off. Even songs that weren’t romantic made life seem fun, and that’s something I really appreciate in her and her songs.”

Not only this, childhood songs can simply just be fun to listen to! Many children love to listen to songs, for the sole reason that they’re fun and easy to jam out to! Upbeat songs can give adrenaline to listeners as they prepare for an important event or a celebration as well. Songs like “Happy” by Pharrell Williams, “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper, and “We Are Young (ft. Janelle Monáe) by fun. are all examples of songs that give instant gratification and serotonin. For sophomore Aidan Naka, his dad would always play “Kids!” by MGMT when he was younger.

“My dad used to play that song a lot, and now looking back, I like it because of how upbeat and positive it is,” Naka shared. 

“When I was younger, I would listen to a lot of 2000s songs that were upbeat and gave me inspiration,” AHS senior Ashley Lin, avid music fan, stated. “They were always so fun to listen to, and gave me motivation to do the best I can in life. Not only that, the childhood artists I listened to like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and Rihanna were all great role models for me to look up to. They really helped me get through tough times and inspired me.” 

Whichever experience one may have had, childhood songs are essential. No matter if they were for fun, for inspiration, or for teaching children pop culture, childhood songs play a vital role in one’s life. Nowadays, looking back on the songs we used to listen to as children are easy ways to bring back nostalgia. 

Photo courtesy of Tobias Tullius