Black History Month

The celebrations that define modern Black History Month have modest origins. What started on Sept. 9, 1915 with the creation of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, which sought to promote the achievements of African Americans and conduct research on their life stories eventually grew into a nationwide movement encouraging reflection upon both the great strides and struggles of African Americans in creating true equality for the American people, who, as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, would no longer “be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” With the rise of more and more social justice and inclusion movements over recent years, the need to spread awareness of the significance of Black History Month is more important than ever—especially within communities such as Arcadia High School (AHS).

In the 96 years since the first public celebration of African Americans, organized displays of Black cultural pride have evolved from the Negro History Week into Black History Month, celebrated across the U.S. in remembrance of both the pioneers and ordinary citizens around the nation who rose up against segregation laws and disheartening anti-Black sentiment that went beyond white supremacy. Celebrating Black history and achievement uplifts not only African Americans, but also uplifts many Americans who have suffered under the legacy of discriminatory legislation and general mistreatment. 

In the current day of increasing social justice movements, celebrating Black history is also a reflection upon the grave injustices committed against African Americans, from the first slave ships landing in the South to the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Sadly, some Americans don’t understand or refuse to understand Black history which then affects the willingness of some communities to acknowledge or encourage it. In particular, accusations that racially divisive lessons are being taught in schools have spilled into discussions of Black History Month in some parts of the country like Alabama creating a hesitancy to celebrate the month at all. This hesitancy to confront crucial injustices that have occurred within our country is certainly alarming but the answer can be found within shifting minds and hearts through spreading awareness.

Above all, it’s important to recognize that Black history is American history. The irrefutable fact is that we, as a nation, bear a storied, and tumultuous, past; and while we must look at our history as a whole to put the present into perspective, it is just as vital that we raise attention to the issues at hand. Earlier this month, at least 17 historically Black colleges received bomb threats which are now being investigated as racially motivated hate crimes. Not only that, but the three men who murdered Ahmaud Arbery are now being convicted of hate crimes, demonstrating just how prevalent the issue of racism is in the 21st century. 

All these events disproportionately affect people of color (POC), and as such, it is no wonder this year’s theme for Black History Month is “Black Health and Wellness.” Unsurprisingly, the American people are fatigued, especially in light of the fact that progress seems to continue to be slow. Division and hatred cannot be our truth. No person should fear for their safety when out for a jog as in the case of Arbery, nor have their past discredited such as in the myths that claim slaves had a “choice”, nor face backlash for trying to take action as in the Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests. Equality is key to democracy; it ensures justice, and thus it’s important we remember and understand why we fight for civil rights. As a result, we find that it is our responsibility to educate ourselves about Black History Month, because it is relevant to all of us.

Although Black history is a fundamental aspect of American history, many people still do not know much about Black history or why there is an ardent push to support African American establishments. For example, many people gloss over hashtags about supporting Black-owned businesses, unaware of the historical exclusion of Black Americans from many of the benefits of worker protections such as those provided in the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

Some even feel offended when race is mentioned, as exhibited in the “all lives matter” response to the BLM movement, ignoring the effort to include African Americans in a major era of civil rights protests. This lack of knowledge and understanding hurts America’s development as a multicultural society and fuels race-based attacks. However, this detrimental oblivion can be fixed through education, which is why it is paramount that students, such as those at AHS, learn and educate themselves more about Black history and its significance, especially in the U.S. 

Understanding modern politics and social movements with a knowledge of Black history and systemic racism is crucial. Oppression can then be recognized as a pattern in America, which gives us the impetus and the tools to dismantle that historical foundation. Knowing that instances such as George Floyd’s death in 2020 aren’t isolated, but repeated offenses of police brutality; understanding that standardized testing and college admissions disadvantage Black communities because of the socioeconomic conditions caused by slavery; recognizing that the Biden administration wants a Black Supreme Court justice due to a historical lack of Black political representation: all of these current events are then enhanced and properly contextualized. Staying open-minded about these concerns could help prevent the censorship of Black history, as 35 states have already introduced bills restricting what teachers can say and teach about racial injustice and history—and 12 bills have already become laws in 10 states. 

But more specifically: it is imperative that we recognize Black history and its importance as students of AHS, with a population of Asian majority and a focus on a prestigious education. Asian American history and politics are deeply intertwined with the efforts and the historical treatment of African American people and activists. It is of the utmost importance that Asian Americans stand in solidarity with other POC. As a school that prides itself on producing students that “imagine, inquire, and inspire,” AHS has an obligation to fully educate its students and help us understand: where we are now, why that is, and what we can do moving forward. By recognizing the similarities in Asian and Black suffering—a history of hate crimes, workplace discrmination, systemic injustice etc.—the American youth can build a generation that is educated, informed, empathetic, and aware. This way, our country can be that much closer to progress. 

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM