Movie Review: “Encanto”

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

Towards the beginning of the year, various songs from the Disney movie Encanto started gaining popularity on various social media platforms. Songs like “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” gained attention from all sorts of audiences, ranging from young adults to little kids. The movie itself also started drawing attention after the rise of the songs, and many viewers adored the movie just as much as the music. 

The plot of the movie was decent. Although the plot was simple, it was perfect for young kids, the audience it was initially determined to reach. The plot mainly focuses on personal growth and family relationships and certain elements of the plot are very unique and dynamic, especially when it comes to the characteristics and traits of the characters. Although the plot does start slowly at the beginning of the film, it is sure to keep you entertained as the movie progresses as new information is revealed. Though the end of the film was quite emotional and definitely brought tears to my eyes, the plot is slightly above average but still very enjoyable. 

“The plot of the movie was my favorite part. It kept me engaged and interested and I thought it was unique,” stated Arcadia High School (AHS) sophomore Addison Kwan. 

The graphics of the movie were average for the most part, but certain graphics made it seem like I was transferred to another dimension. The graphics are definitely a vital part of the movie, as it is focused on magic and powers. At times, the graphics seemed not as detailed when compared to other animated Disney films for the most part but during times of climax and excitement, the quality of the graphics matched the suspense and the energy. 

The music of this film was some of the best music I have ever heard from a Disney film. All the songs from this film are upbeat in different tones, and tell stories as opposed to just supporting what a character feels. Although the songs do portray the feelings of the character, they also provide more details and help the audience delve deeper into the plot and the personalities of the characters. 

“I loved the music from Encanto,” stated AHS junior Allison Bernardini. “It made the movie ten times more fun and it really helped me connect with the mood and characters.” 

This movie is definitely a great movie. Although it is not one of the best animated Disney movies I have seen, it is still very enjoyable whether you want to watch it with your family or friends. Overall, Encanto is an entertaining movie that is guaranteed to be enjoyed by all.