Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

Chloe Wong, Campus Focus Editor

If you’ve ever felt anxious at the sight of your crush or wondered if you should finally confess your feelings in fifth period, then you may already know that it’s easy for teens to get swept up in the idea of romance. This rings especially true every time February comes around. During this month, gestures of affection transpire in hallways; valentines, roses, and carnation grams are exchanged. Still, it’s important to remember that February isn’t only a time to recognize true love and St. Valentine. 

Every year in February, the nation observes Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. Officially recognized by Congress in 2010, Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month is a time to discuss violence in teen relationships and offer support to those who’ve survived it. In general, dating violence can be physical, mental, sexual, or emotional. Common signs of dating violence include stalking, physical abuse, and pressuring someone into sexual acts—however, controlling or irrational behavior, such as trying to restrict someone’s actions and friendships, can also be critical red flags. 

While all age demographics experience dating violence, abuse is especially prevalent in teen relationships. Approximately 1 in 10 teens have experienced abuse at the hands of a partner. This is because adolescents are far from emotionally mature: being incredibly vulnerable to emotions like jealousy, teens are more likely to find themselves involved in volatile, unhealthy relationships. Teen dating violence can also result from the cycle of abuse, as children who witness violence at home tend to mirror it in their own relationships, either through eventually experiencing abuse or committing abuse themselves. 

Just as with adult relationships, dating violence leaves lasting impacts on adolescents. It can lead to permanent physical and mental damage: for example, teenagers who experience dating violence have a greater chance of becoming suicidal, and are also vulnerable to drug and alcohol use. Moreover, unhealthy dating habits frequently carry over into adulthood—this means that abused teens have a higher chance of being victimized again in college. Along with these other factors, dating violence can also cause anxiety, depression, and antisocial behavior. 

With awareness surrounding dating violence on the rise, organizations such as Teen Dating Violence Month and Dating Matters offer helpful resources about domestic abuse. In particular, Dating Matters places an emphasis on preventative measures against teen dating violence—specifically, learning what healthy relationships look like at a young age may prevent someone from becoming involved with an abusive partner later on.  If you believe you may be experiencing dating violence, consider adjusting your circle of friends to include those you feel safe with, and talk to a trusted adult about your situation. You may also want to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE. 

Teen relationships are typically perceived as youthful and exhilarating—that’s why high school couples figure in some of the most well-known romantic comedies ever made. However, while teen relationships can certainly be fun and sweet, it’s also important to raise awareness surrounding the dysfunction that can sometimes accompany them. February is a time that’s saturated by the concept of love—this Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, ensure that yours is healthy and sustainable.

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.com