Super Bowl LVI

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

Super Bowl LVI had everyone at the very edge of their seats on Feb. 13, with the Los Angeles Rams and Cincinnati Bengals going head to head. In the end, the Los Angeles Rams were crowned the Super Bowl LVI champions, with a score of 23-20.

From the beginning to end of the game, both teams had an excellent chance of winning the Super Bowl.

In the first quarter, the Rams led the game with seven points, while the Bengals tailed closely behind with three points. By the end of the second quarter, the score was 13-10, in the Rams’ favor. However, in the third quarter, the Bengals overcame the Rams with a score of 20-16. It all came down to the fourth quarter, in which the Bengals ultimately lost to the Rams, due to the Rams scoring seven points while the Bengals scored none.

This highly decorated game even had students at Arcadia High School engrossed in their television screens. However, there were mixed reactions with the overall performance of the Rams and Bengals.

Junior Rohit Sampathkumar Anitha stated, “The heavily anticipated Super Bowl proved to be somewhat disappointing with one of the LA Rams’ star players, Odell Beckham Jr., tearing his ACL. This struck panic amongst fans and myself. However, the Rams did manage to push through, and beat the Bengals with a clinching touchdown in the final quarter.”

“I thought that the game was one of the best, and was not very surprised with the outcome, since the Rams’ defensive line is much better than the Bengals. The Bengals’ weakness would probably be their offensive line, which is why I expected the Rams to take the W in the end,” junior Candace Allen said.

The venue for the Super Bowl LVI also had many Californians up in high spirits, for it was located at our very own SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. By playing at SoFi Stadium, the Rams became the second straight team to claim victory at their home stadium.

Not only was the venue incredibly special to the Rams, but also to fans of many celebrities. This year, there was a star-studded attendance list at the Super Bowl, including famous entertainers, athletes, and social figures. Some celebrities that were present are Rebel Wilson, Nina Dobrev, Ryan Reynolds, Lizzo, Drake, Mark Wahlberg, Martha Stewart, Lebron James, and Jay Z. Some celebrities also appeared with their partner, such as Ellen DeGeneres and Portia De Rossi, Justin Bieber and Hailey Bieber, Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom, as well as Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez.

A major highlight of the event was the halftime show. The headliners were Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, and Kendrick Lamar. These five artists have a total of 43 Grammys, and have 22 number one Billboard albums.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Kendrick Lamar expressed their sentiments over performing in the Super Bowl LVI halftime show, as they all came from Los Angeles.

Dr. Dre remarked, “The opportunity to perform at the Super Bowl Halftime show, and to do it in my own backyard, will be one of the biggest thrills of my career. I’m grateful to JAY-Z, Roc Nation, the NFL, and Pepsi as well as Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar for joining me in what will be an unforgettable cultural moment.”

From the Super Bowl LVI game to the performances and appearances, it was another Super Bowl that will go down in sports history forever.

Photo courtesy of COMMONS.WIKIMEDIA.ORG