Connections of “The Book of Boba Fett”

Kai Wetterau, Staff Writer

Disclaimer: This article does contain spoilers for The Book of Boba Fett.

Set on the desert planet of Tatooine, The Book of Boba Fett is an action-packed seven-episode series on Disney+ following Star Wars bounty hunter Boba Fett and his quest to reclaim the planet’s crime network following the death of former crime lord Jabba the Hutt. He is joined by fellow bounty hunter Fennec Shand, who aids him on his journey.

Fett starts off without much muscle to patrol the streets, and so has to work hard and show respect to build up the proper means for enforcing. In between these scenes, he spends time healing from past injuries inflicted in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, where he is sent spiraling into a large pit containing a monstrous creature. He barely escapes with his life just to be forced into working for a local alien tribe, known as the Tuskens. In Star Wars lore, this group of people has been living on Tatooine for centuries and have facial coverings that they never take off. Boba Fett proves his worth to the Tuskens and so trains in their culture to become like one of them.

He quickly learns how to be a master fighter using their weapons and tries his best to help them out with the ongoing issue of a train of other aliens attacking the group. Basically considering the clan to be family, he combines his skills learned from the Tuskens as well as past bounty hunter experience to win the battle, crushing the armored vehicle.

Advocating for Tusken rights, Fett goes to negotiate with a ruling crime group, made up of foreign creatures called the Pykes. It is here that he demands the Tuskens be paid a share of money to ensure protection while the Pykes do business in the area, to which the Pyke leader declines, for they are already paying the same thing to another separate group, the Nikto.

Fett then decides to travel back, where he meets an injured Fennec Shand, who was gravely injured and going to die. Seeing this, this bounty hunter revives her, revealing why she’s even working with him in the first place. However, once he gets back to the Tuskens, he finds they were massacred by what seems to be the Nikto, though it was actually the Pykes; this was not known to him at the time. Many can feel great anger towards the Pykes, as was the case with freshman Nathan Greif.

“When I learned this in the last episode, I just wanted Boba to utterly destroy all the Pykes and prove he’s the true ruler of Tatooine. It shows his legacy and echoes a message of natives winning over a much more powerful invading force who shouldn’t be there in the first place.”

Thinking that Nikto killed his tribe, Fett utterly destroys them and leaves, adding on to more of the Boba Fett lore. It is at this point that the flashbacks end and Boba returns to the present. Here, he recruits allies to fight the Pykes, who are encroaching on his territory and trading unlawful goods without his consent. With him includes another bounty hunter Krrsantan and the Mandalorian, the famed protagonist of the hit Disney+ series The Mandalorian, who is himself a bounty hunter who cared for the adorable Baby Yoda. Along with other forces, this show pulls together elements from all parts of the Star Wars franchise, from continuing the arc of rival bounty hunter Cad Bane(he has only shown up in the Star Wars animated series and this is his first live-action appearance) to bringing back Luke Skywalker, who is busy forming a new Jedi order following his win in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

Here, an entire episode is spent with Baby Yoda, last seen in The Mandalorian being sent off with Luke Skywalker to train as a Jedi. He suffers through an identity crisis, wanting to become a Jedi but being too attached to his friend the Mandalorian. The young alien eventually gives into his emotions, joining the gruff bounty hunter and reuniting the duo. This was greatly anticipated by fans, as it meant more Baby Yoda content to enjoy. It also helps fill in some gaps in the history of the series.

The full ending of the titular show brings everyone together, allowing for the most lore to be had. Boba Fett and his team all fight against the Pykes, and have to use all their powers to work together and eventually cause the deaths of all those invading. Baby Yoda is able to show off how he’s trained with Luke, and the Mandalorian continues the legacy of the Darksaber, a powerful energy weapon vital to many Star Wars side stories. 

Arcadia High School sophomore Brandon Lee especially appreciates the action with the Darksaber, as it relates to side material.

“Seeing the Mandalorian fight using the Darksaber, and having a hard time wielding it was just awesome,” he commented. “It was definitely a sight to see him and Baby Yoda double team the Pykes.”

In all, The Book of Boba Fett covers much of the in-between from where the movies left off and allows fans to enjoy some of their favorite side characters to flourish and grow as a whole. It brings an end to many unresolved arcs as well as brings about a new generation of characters for people to attach their feelings to. The show is great and highlights a character formerly shrouded in mystery, and brings to light many themes in our time. It is definitely worth watching and thrills fans with tons of suspense.