My Scaly Pet: Reptile Owner Spotlight

Michelle So, Staff Writer

Reptiles are undeniably one of the most underrated classes of pets. The term ‘reptile’ refers to snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises, alligators, and everything in between. There is an unspoken misconception that they just exist to sit in the crusty fishtank of a nerd’s garage. “What’s that over there?” “It’s just a lizard” “Oh.” Occasionally evoking looks of disgust or “ew”, these cold-blooded animals don’t deserve to be misunderstood.

I, myself, am an owner of a RES (reptile slang for ‘Red-eared slider’) turtle. I named her Squirtle in fourth grade, after the adorable turtle pokemon. It’s been over 6 years since then, and she continues to be a huge part of our family. Though not the most interactive pet, she does have some quirks. Squirtle hates being touched and will go to great lengths to get a bite of human flesh, so sticking my hand into her enclosure is a big no. Instead, I feed her treats–broccoli, boiled eggs, and bugs–using tongs. This was not how I envisioned life with a Red-eared slider would be, which are amongst the friendliest of turtle species. It’s just an example of how, while it may not seem obvious, every animal has its own personality. And Squirtle has yet to come out of her shell–pun intended!

I met up with sophomore Nisa Qureshi over a video call to hear more about the reptile owner experience. Qureshi is a self-proclaimed animal lover and, at any given moment, has her hands full with her four tortoises, backyard chickens, and a bearded dragon. For the interview, Mintu, one of Qureshi’s tortoises, rested sleepily on a towel beside her, occasionally gifting us a precious yawn.

“She’s supposed to slowly come out of hibernation now,” Qureshi explained. “Today was one of the days I was going to check up on her. So that’s why I brought her with me.”

Qureshi’s tortoises, Pintu, Mintu, Chintu, and Sultan, are all “free-range”, and roam around the entire backyard grazing and digging burrows. Pintu, Mintu, and Chintu are all California Desert tortoises and came from the same clutch of eggs. Sultan, however, easily stands out amongst his shelled companions.

“[Sultan] is a big Sulcata tortoise that’s like, three feet wide, and he has, like, a whole entire personality,” she exclaimed. “I was feeding him cucumber today, and he’s a bit lazy, and he doesn’t like to walk. I moved the cucumber closer so he could walk and get it. He just stood there looking at me. He’s like, ‘No, I’m not going to walk. You have to feed it to me.’”

Sultan’s stubborn antics are just one example of the colorful interactions Qureshi has had with her reptiles. During online class last year, she tried to show off her bearded dragon, Spike, to classmates. As she brought Spike closer to the camera, he broke free from her hold, skittered to the computer, defecated (on the keyboard!), and ran. 

The incident had Qureshi cracking up, as she assured me that it smelled “really, really bad.”

On the other, the less-legged end of the reptile spectrum lies the more feared and misunderstood snakes. Mr. Craig Monden teaches Biology and Biology Honors at AHS and happens to belong to the rare group of people who enjoy the company of snakes. He says many students are often intrigued, or frightened, by the glossy, black snake that resides in the middle of his class. 

“His name is Sam and he’s Kingsnake. A Sonoran Kingsnake,” said Mr. Monden.

The story of how Mr. Monden acquired Sam goes back a long way. He grew up in Hawaii, where keeping pet snakes is illegal, due to the lack of natural predators. As a result, Mr. Monden became fascinated with them.

“I grew up reading about snakes in books and always wondered what a snake is or how it can move that fast without legs. It’s such a weird concept to me,” he said. “When I got to the mainland, I said, ‘Okay, the first thing I’m going to do is buy a snake.’”

He actually ended up buying three. The first two, garter snakes, sadly perished, but Sam has survived and has been doing well ever since. In fact, Sam has been doing a bit too well. The person whom Mr. Monden bought Sam from claimed the species only lived 8 to 10 years, but Sam is going on 23-years-old this year.

“Either I’m taking really good care of him or somebody lied to me,” Mr. Monden joked.

What’s not a joke is how insanely long most reptiles live with proper care. A well-kept snake can easily reach double digits while certain tortoises are known to outlive their owners. Yep, you heard that right. Pet reptiles are a lifelong endeavor, and it’s important not to jump headfirst into the hobby.

Qureshi did weeks’ worth of research before getting Spike the bearded dragon, but it wasn’t until she actually got him that she learned about their need for regular nail trimming. 

“It’s really hard because he hates when I hold his hand,” Qureshi said, stifling a laugh. “So right when he falls asleep, I cut his nails then.” 

Manicure for a pet lizard isn’t all that crazy when you understand the role that reptiles play in their owners’ lives. Not exactly as affection-seeking as dogs or cats, reptiles are more of platonic love; they accept the devotion we provide but don’t ask for more than the bare minimum. 

Put into words, “each animal gives you a different emotion,” said Mr. Monden. “So, you know, dogs and cats are all cute and cuddly. Snakes, however, are not cute and cuddly. But they’re cool!”

Yet, as it remains to be said, snakes are not cool to everyone. These chill animals, which would rather be basking than attacking you, are one of the most common fears amongst adults, and for no logical reason!

“Every animal in the world bites and a snake doesn’t bite any more frequently than any other animal,” said Mr. Monden. “Like Sam, for example. You don’t have to worry about Sam biting. Unless you’re a mouse, or you smell like meat. Then those are two things that I would be cautious about.”

In sum, reptiles are wondrously underrated as animals and as pets. They deserve more than what the media gives them. With the proper husbandry, these scaly-skinned creatures can be more than just objects of admiration, they can be lifelong companions.

PHOTO COURTESY OF MICHELLE SO