The 49th District Special Election

Kai Wetterau, Staff Writer

California’s 49th Congressional District held a special primary election on Feb. 15, following former Representative Democrat Ed Chau being appointed as a Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge. The competitors were Democrat Mike Fong and Republican Burton Brink, who both ran to serve as the next representative for most of the San Gabriel Valley in California’s State Assembly. Following the election, Mike Fong came out on top, though Burton Brink put up a good fight and could be the next Republican nominee for the next election cycle.

The primary election could’ve led to a general election on Apr. 19, if someone entered the race besides the main two candidates. Since no one did, Mike Fong was pronounced as the winner of the election and was elected to represent the majority of the San Gabriel Valley area.

Fong served on the Los Angeles Community College Board of Trustees, a prestigious organization which works towards making new policy regarding education in the greater Los Angeles area. Growing up as an Asian American in Los Angeles County, he has been in community service for years, trying his best to give back to the community that raised him.

Brink, on the other hand, also grew up in San Gabriel Valley, starting off as a police explorer at the Arcadia Police Department, and then eventually moving onto a job as a police officer in Monterey Park. Spending many more years in the service, he tried his best to use ethical judgment when working on the job. Brink later was promoted to sergeant in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, where he led parts of the organization and contributed to the betterment of citizens. When asked about possible proposed statewide initiatives to help students, parents, teachers, and administrators following large staffing shortages caused by the Omicron variant, he explained his vision.

“I believe in a more localized and parent-powered approach to decisions in our school system. I also believe that parents and their children should make decisions to protect themselves from the virus, not the government. Often, we become reliant on the government to tell us what we can and cannot do or should and should not do. I firmly believe that we as Californians can make these decisions on our own. While I don’t support preventative legislation, I do believe we should all, as individuals, do our part to stay safe and healthy in this environment.” 

Brink also acknowledged that the 49th Congressional District consists of a large Asian American demographic, with Asian Americans making up 56.5% of those voting in this election. Brink knows that many have been hit with great amounts of prejudice, especially following the ongoing pandemic. With all of this in mind, he has described his view on how to combat racism and to fix the presently negative political rhetoric.

Any hate towards the Asian population, or any Californian, is unacceptable. Local law enforcement agencies must be cognizant of the existence of Asian hate and take action. In Sacramento, we can ensure trickled down funding for law enforcement agencies and hold each other accountable in combating the hate. Hateful individuals who put their language and thoughts into physical violence must be met with the full force of the law and swift arm of justice. We should leave no doubt that violence upon any human being is unacceptable and will not go unpunished.” 

His views are slightly different from that of Fong’s, who is Asian-American himself and so has direct plans when combating the issue.

Fong, when faced with the issue of coronavirus, also proposed keeping many at home to combat the ongoing pandemic, with the absence crisis in schools continuing to worsen.

Both candidates know about the former motion Proposition 18, which would allow 17-year-olds who turn 18 by the next general election to vote in any and all primary and special elections. While the proposition was defeated, it still opened up a world of possible policies. Brink talked about how he would support such a future piece of legislature.

No. A primary election is no different than a general election. If the law states that an individual must be 18 years old to participate in an election, then that should include primaries, special elections, recalls, etc.” In other words, Brink believes that the proposition should not return. Fong also has quite an opinion on things, believing that young people are the future. They both have a vision for the future of education, all to help students succeed.

A request for responses from Representative Fong was not returned.

Mike Fong and Burton Brink competed to become the next representative of District 49, and both put up a good fight. Mike Fong won and so will be implementing his policies on how to change things for the better, though both candidates have many ideas on what to do to solve issues plaguing our community.

Photo courtesy of LAWFAREBLOG.COM