“Always Be My Maybe”

Darin Buenaluz, Staff Writer

Disclaimer: This article contains spoilers.

Always Be My Maybe is a 2019 Netflix Original film directed by Nahnatchka Khan. The film tells the story of two childhood friends from San Francisco, California, Marcus Kim and Sasha Tran. They spend much of their time growing up together, with Marcus frequently having Sasha at his house due to her parents almost never being home. Marcus’ Korean mother teaches her how to cook, which is crucial for the young Sasha as she is forced to take care of herself more often than not. As such, Marcus’ mother becomes a larger parental figure in Sasha’s life than Sasha’s own parents. The two continue to spend their youth together until Sasha eventually becomes a famous chef and moves away. Though Always By My Maybe largely focuses on the fictional reuniting and reconnecting of Marcus and Sasha, it also speaks to the very real discussions of Asian American culture and of the effects on children who don’t receive adequate parenting.

Several years pass as Sasha makes a name for herself, opening restaurants and getting engaged to restauranteur Brandon Choi. Eventually, Sasha decides to temporarily move back to her hometown to oversee the opening of her newest restaurant. However, she awkwardly reunites with Marcus and his father after she hires the two to install air conditioners at her house. 

Following this initial reunion, Marcus reintroduces Sasha to everything she missed during the years she’s been gone. As Sasha spends more time with Marcus and engaging with her home community again, she decides to break up with her fiancé Brandon after he continues to postpone their wedding and travels around the world without her. 

However, before Marcus can convey his true feelings to Sasha, she finds a new love interest in Keanu Reeves (playing as himself,) resulting in the two going on a double date with Marcus and his girlfriend Jenny. The date takes a turn for the worst as Marcus and Keanu get into a fight after Sasha admits that it isn’t Keanu who she is in love with, but with Marcus instead. 

After admitting the feelings they have for each other, Marcus and Sasha begin to spend more time together again. He introduces her to the band he’s unsuccessfully been trying to make  a name for himself with. However, Marcus learns that despite their new relationship, Sasha still intends on leaving for New York to open another restaurant once her San Francisco project is complete. Sasha then decides to leave without Marcus after he refuses to leave the comfort of the community he’s spent his whole life in. Heartbroken, Marcus decides that it’s time for him to take a step into the unknown after coming to the realization that his mother’s death has been keeping him from doing so. He pursues Sasha to New York and asks her to take him back. She accepts, and Marcus learns that the restaurant she’s planning to open is named after his mother,  as a way to express the gratitude Sasha has for his family and all they have done to support her throughout her life.

Always Be My Maybe explores factors that go beyond what stereotypically defines a romantic comedy. It builds Sasha’s entire character around her parents neglecting to take care of her because they’re always out at work, making sure that the family is financially stable. This is an issue that many American children, as well as children around the world, are dealing with. 

According to a study by the Pew Research Center, “as more moms have entered the labor force, more have become breadwinners—in many cases, primary breadwinners—in their families.” 

Motherly figures are some of the most important people in one’s life, as they are the ones best at teaching things such as compassion and empathy. When these figures have to constantly work in order to make ends meet, it has a psychological effect on a child, and can cause feelings of loneliness and abandonment. When both parents are out of the house, regardless of reason, this only exaggerates the mental toll taken on children, which is a large reason why Sasha is less than pleased when she sees her parents. Although they explain to her that they truly feel guilty for leaving Sasha to fend for herself, Sasha still isn’t convinced that her parents ever truly cared about her. 

On the other hand, Marcus’ character is largely built on him being unable to move on from his mother’s death. For both him and Sasha, Marcus’ mother was the most important parent in their life. Being too scared to leave his comfort zone out of fear that he will lose someone again, Marcus remains in San Francisco for much of his life without ever planning to leave. Only when Sasha re enters his life and he is convinced by both her and his father that he needs to be an open person once again that he makes the trip to New York to meet her.

“Ali Wong and Randall Park are able to captivate the audience even with such cliche tropes, plus who doesn’t love Keanu Reeves?” said Arcadia High School junior Natalie Que. “It is so awe-inspiring to see Asian representation on the big screen.” 

Always Be My Maybe brings another uncommon characteristic to the Western entertainment world: its exploration of Asian American heritage. The majority of the film takes place in San Francisco’s Chinatown, the oldest Chinatown in the United States. Marcus takes not only Sasha, but also the audience on a trip through different Asian American cultures which has been encapsulated in a single historical district of a city renowned for its history of immigration. Furthermore, the presence of several Asian American main characters is a major step forward in bringing their stories and backgrounds into the mainstream of American entertainment.

Ultimately, Always Be My Maybe is a well developed film that has a series of unique characteristics setting it apart from others of its kind. Receiving a staggering 90% Tomatometer rating on Rotten Tomatoes for its combination of humor with a well written friends-to-lovers plot, it’s definitely a must watch for those seeking a romantic comedy, an Asian-American film, or both.