The Benefits of Hiking

Sophia Li, Staff Writer

Many students at Arcadia High School (AHS) love to go on a relaxing and peaceful hike with friends or family on a weekend to get away from their responsibilities and to connect with nature. Hiking is too generally deemed a hobby only for those who are athletic or love nature, but hiking has something to offer to everyone. 

To start, hiking doesn’t necessarily mean pulling up ankle-high boots with traction to take on an adventure in the deep depths of the mountains. Hiking can simply be hiking a short and flat trail nearby your house to get some fresh air. There may be a misconception that hiking has to be grueling and tiring, but in reality, it can be whatever you make it! Some easier hiking trails nearby include the Peck Road Water Conservation Park, Eaton Canyon Falls Hiking Trail, and the many other smaller ones in nearby cities like Monrovia. 

Peck Road Water Conservation Park is awesome because not only does it allow for peace in the vast open space, but there are also all types of small wild animals that you might catch on a hike there. Small ducks and varieties of all types of butterflies are present during the hike, which can be extremely relaxing. There are also all types of flowers from all varieties of colors that are amazing to watch. Additionally, Eaton Canyon Falls Hiking Trail is also amazing as it is relatively flat and has many great views of mountains nearby.

Not only can hiking be whatever you want it to be, it can also be a great form of exercise for those who love more of an adventure. For example, last weekend, my friends and I, alongside a couple of our parents, hiked the Mt. Wilson trail, in Sierra Madre, California. The roundtrip of the hike is 20.5 miles. The trail has many ups and down to offer, with many stops like First Water and one near a small stream. Additionally, this trail offers stops with historical meaning or context, to provide the history of events that happened to date back prior to World War II. 

“I loved the hike because it allowed all of us to bond together during it, and it was a really nice scenery change, being away from our normal city life. We not only got to play games, take pictures of the sunrise, and film videos of our hiking gear, but it was nice to take a step back and appreciate the quality time spent with friends while getting a good sweat in,” Ellie Gladson-Pang, a freshman at AHS and one of the hikers on the trip, shared. 

Another excellent hike further in the mountains is a trail called The Bridge To Nowhere, which is a 10-mile round trip hike in La Verne, California. The hike is amazing for those who love to integrate rivers, rocks, and climbing into their hike. From the name itself, one can assume there is a bridge, which is true! At the end of the hike, there’s a massive bridge that overlooks a river, which one can descend to and relax under the hot sun. However, for these harder trails, make sure to pack light clothing gear, bring enough water (in plastic bottles, to lessen the weight!), and bring snacks with protein and carbohydrates packed in them! Also, make sure to bring shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty if you know you’re going to cross a river. For hikes further out in the mountains, bring insect repellent, and make sure to bring a drawstring that doesn’t hurt your shoulders for a long period of time! Additionally, some safety tips include notifying family and friends before a big hike and making sure to hike with others in case anything goes wrong. Plan out the time frame of your hike, so in case anything goes wrong and you aren’t back by the expected time, people can be contacted.

“For me, hiking in the right gear is extremely important. I like to make sure I have all my gear ready the night before, so I can time my hike at the right time. I like to hike in the morning, to avoid the midday sun, and also because the air feels more refreshing in the morning. For my gear, I like to bring two plastic bottles of water, any pair of shoes with a lot of traction, sunglasses, several proteins and granola bars like Clif Bars or Kind Bars, a hiking staff, and energy gels,” Vania Ahmadi, a freshman at AHS shared. 

All in all, hiking is an amazing hobby or something to do in one’s free time. It helps one calm their mind while providing amazing time to spend with friends. Hiking is a great way to exercise while bonding with people and meeting new people.

Photo Courtesy of FLICKR