Top Three Song Recommendations

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

In this season of love and Valentine’s Day, emotions become a little more intense, from the affection between couples to the feelings of single individuals. Dealing with all these different emotions may be overwhelming, but there is a myriad of things that will help someone express their feelings, one of which is music. Music is an amazing way to feel the indescribable, whether it be love or heartbreak. So to celebrate the season of love, and the season of emotions, here are three songs that might be perfect for you.

As the debut single of One Direction, “What Makes You Beautiful”, is a pop song that won’t fail to get you humming. This song was written by Savan Kotecha and producer Rami Yacoub on Sept. 11, 2011. With the upbeat guitar and catchy chorus, this song tells the story of love. 

“I like vibing and singing to ‘What Makes You Beautiful, especially in the car,” stated sophomore Edward Lai. “It’s really cute and catchy.” 

“What Makes You Beautiful” is an amazing song to dance to and have fun with. It tells the story of a girl who is very insecure and always puts herself down. But her lover sees nothing but beauty. From her personality to her behavior, down to the very last detail, her lover sees past surface-level flaws, appreciating the person deep down. If you ever feel down, remember, beauty is about what’s within!

“I Would Have Given You the Moon,” released on Jan. 28, 2022, is a lovely piano-pop ballad written by American singer-songwriter Peach Martine. This song of heartbreak and distress is ideal for people who are going through rough times; the beautifully written lyrics evoke the feelings that may be hidden.

“I first found it on TikTok,” sophomore Jolene Shen said. “This song makes me feel sad, but that’s good because I really resonate with it. The meaning… hits a little different and it’s one of my favorite songs.”

I recommend “I Would Have Given You the Moon” because it’s a fairly new song from an up-and-coming artist, and it deserves attention. If you ever feel taken for granted, or not appreciated enough, I recommend this emotional, heartfelt song.

“Paris,” by The Chainsmokers, released on Jan. 13, 2017, is a slow electro-pop song with many underlying themes, from love to addiction. Paris, is a sentimental yearning for a reality that isn’t genuine; an irrecoverable condition for fantasy that evokes nostalgia or daydreams. This song features American singer-songwriter Emily Warren, a frequent collaborator with The Chainsmokers, and one of the leading writers of “Paris” is Andrew Taggart. In fact, this song is inspired by a friend of his who struggled with serious drug addiction. But there are also many lyrics that hit close to home in the love department. “Paris” talks about a fantasy world of two lovers who think life is going amazing, but in reality, their lives and the people around them are falling apart.

“I like to play this song when I feel nostalgic, like if I’m missing my friends,” said junior Leo Liang. “The song is slow and makes me feel relaxed. I just like to chill to it.”

It prompts a nostalgic and longing feeling, similar to how you might feel lying in your bed and staring at the ceiling, dreaming up an imaginary situation. If you’re looking for a song that can carry you into a world of fantasy, “Paris” is the perfect one for you.

With the countless supply of songs out there, finding one that matches your mood isn’t that hard. Whether it be something to get you dancing, or something to get you crying, music is one of the best ways to release your emotions.

Photo courtesy of Fixelgraphy