Seekeats: A Blooming Platform

Seekeats: A Blooming Platform

Sabrina Lo, Staff Writer

Seekeats is a platform that was created by Phillip Lau, a former Arcadia High School (AHS) student.  Lau is a senior at the University of Southern California and is currently studying Economics, Business Finance, and Applied Analytics. In addition to Lau, AHS students junior Jocelyn Wang and senior Rebecca Tao contribute to the platform. They work with Marketing and Business Development for SeekEats.

Sabrina: What is Seekeats? Can you please give a brief description of the platform?

Phillip: SeekEats is a USC-based startup focused on giving local businesses advertising in exchange for exclusive discounts on specific days. We provide a platform for local businesses who lack an online social media presence to advertise and promote their discounts and seasonal promotions in the same location as all of the other businesses in the area. This way, users can conveniently see all of the local discounts and deals in their area in the same congregated place, and decide where to go based on the discount incentive. 

Sabrina: What inspired you to create this platform? 

Phillip: I did not have previous experience with entrepreneurship as I am studying Economics & Finance. I will be working at a $2.21 trillion dollar investment management firm called PIMCO in the near future, but over quarantine, I just knew that I had an idea and wanted to give it a shot. I wanted to create something that would impact the community and could be usable by everyone I know. 

Sabrina: Your website says “local food alerts on the go.” Does local refer only to Arcadia?

Phillip: We started out with our first businesses in the Arcadia, Temple City area, but we have just recently gotten our first business partner at USC. We plan to expand throughout the 626 and in LA near the USC area. 

Sabrina: What kind of restaurants are you currently partnering with? 

Phillip: We are currently partnered with 12 local businesses including Wushiland Boba, Tancca, Chatime Arcadia, Poke Bar Arcadia, 7/11 Monrovia, White Springs Cafe, Goki Cafe, Clover Leaf Cafe & Bakery, Cup o Joy, Sunday’s Old Town Bistro, Cafe Roule, and Chris’s KBBQ. We are open to partnering with any local businesses in our area that are interested in joining the SeekEats network. 

Sabrina: To Arcadia students who aspire to start their own business/platform, could you give some advice to them? 

Phillip: The main advice that I would give students would be to first properly think about their idea and do some research regarding whether or not there would actually be demand or interest in whatever they wanted to make. After that, if you confirm and believe that you have a good idea, you have nothing to lose, just go for it. A proper collaborative team environment will make all the difference when the going gets tough!

You can follow Seekeats’ journey on their website and Instagram page. Though the platform is still new, they provide an innovative way for customers and business owners to get what they want.

Photo Courtesy of SEEKEATS