Students Choose: Favorite Disney Characters

Nicole Soong

Disney produced lots of movies and characters that accompanied our childhood, including all the princesses, Buzz, Woody, and more. Nevertheless, which characters do AHS students love most?
Junior Karen Thai likes Russell from Up “because he is often positive, happy, adventurous, and funny. He gets along well with everyone he meets and can even bring out the good side in the grumpy old man Carl,” which she thinks is very similar to her own characteristics. In the movie, Russell beholds a spirit that somewhat reminded Carl of Ellie in Russell’s curious nature and determination to do the right thing in helping Kevin, and they bonded in a grandfather/grandson-like relationship.

On the other hand, Mulan from Mulan is very popular among AHS students, including juniors Michelle Shi, Katherine Wu, and Katie Thin. Katherine admires Mulan because “in a country where women were supposed to look pretty, Mulan became a war hero and showed the society that women can also be strong.” The original story of Mulan was based on the fifth-century Chinese poem “The Ballad of Mulan”. The original poem was originally a short fable, designed to show gender equality, but in the following centuries, it was developed until Hua Mulan became a legendary figure.

Besides that, junior Brandon Mejia likes Tinker Bell “because [he] can relate to her since [he is] very headstrong and stubborn … [and] because she is one of the main symbols for Disneyland and [his] favorite colors are green and yellow.” Tinker Bell was at first only designed to be a supporting character, and was described by her creator as “a common fairy”, but her animated incarnation was a hit and has since become a widely recognized unofficial mascot of The Walt Disney Company.

Junior Kurtis Chu likes Lewis from Meet the Robinsons because “Lewis grows as a person when he travels through the future and it’s cool because you can see him change from a selfish kid to a more mature caring person. This combined with the cool inventions that he creates, makes him [his] favorite Disney character.” Lewis was derived from the original A Day With Wilbur Robinson storybook, in which he was a friend of Wilbur who served as the narrator as he visited his friend’s large and strange home.
These are some of the favorite Disney Characters that were chosen by AHS students; which ones are your favorites?