Therapy Should Be Normalized

Vanessa Valentino, Staff Writer

A few months ago, someone I know was struggling with a toxic friendship. She was trying to cut it off, but it brought up difficult emotions, and she was affected even after they’d finally, somewhat explosively, said their goodbyes. 

She had ranted to me, saying it would impact her friendships in the future, and after a few of these conversations, I suggested therapy. She shot the idea down immediately, replying that there was no need for such a thing; she just needed to pray. 

Her reaction is an example of the stigma attached to therapy: assumptions like “only crazy people go to therapy”, or “if you go to therapy, you probably have a serious mental illness”. These misconceptions can come from many things, like from a culture of mental health stigmatization or a misunderstanding of mental illnesses. As a result, many are afraid that, as a byproduct of therapy, they’ll be treated differently. 

But, contrary to popular belief, therapy isn’t limited to people suffering from serious mental illnesses. It’s also commonly used for those going through difficult times in their lives, such as breakups, academic struggles, and family issues. In therapy, you can express and explore your thoughts, feelings, and patterns of behavior in a safe environment, whether it be through serious or casual discussions.

In reality, the goal of therapy is to increase your quality of life via self-exploration and self-awareness, in addition to supporting you through rough situations and providing life-long benefits to your mental health.

One of these advantages includes coping methods. Therapists are trained to help you enhance your natural coping methods, which are unique to each individual; for example, one person may cope by writing, while another may go for a walk. They also teach new ones, such as thinking of yourself positively or having a different viewpoint on how you interact with others. Healthier coping leads to better responses and experiences, overall leading to a better quality of life.

Another long-term benefit is the relationship between therapy and happiness. Therapy promotes greater self-awareness and self-compassion, allowing you to appreciate your genuine self and avoid delving too deeply into negativity. Self-compassion, in particular, has been found to foster health-promoting behaviors, increase empathy and generosity, and act as an anxiety buffer.

Consequently, through its link to happiness, therapy leads to increased productivity. By increasing the levels of dopamine and serotonin in your brain, you’re able to work harder and learn more. Therapy can also help you overcome obstacles hindering your productivity, such as perfectionism and poor time management skills.

Zachary Alti, a social worker, psychotherapist, and professor in New York, said, “Few people look forward to therapy, but students should be aware that therapy exists to help them, not to judge them.” 

Therapy should be viewed as a tool, like seeing a doctor for a broken bone, not as a sort of taboo subject. There shouldn’t be any shame in asking for help, as therapists are trained to support you under all circumstances. 

Therapy doesn’t just exist to help you through mental illnesses or hard times. It also catches unhealthy patterns of behavior before they fester; it provides a, by law, confidential place to explore yourself; and it gives you benefits you reap for the rest of your life—like healthy coping methods, greater self-awareness and self-compassion, and better productivity. 

Even when things seem manageable, it’s smart to see a therapist regardless, as it can help prevent a situation from getting overwhelming. 

Mental health is as important as physical health, and society should begin to treat it as such.

Graphic courtesy of PIXABAY.COM