Winter Pep Assembly 2022

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

With fun performances, games, and more, Apache News (APN)  live-streamed the 2022 Winter Assembly from the North Gym to AHS classrooms. The assembly featured multiple performances from various AHS organizations, and it highlighted the countless academic and sports teams at AHS. 

To begin with, the assembly started with a performance by AHS Pep Band who were introduced by APN Anchors Nicole Nie and Justin Zhang. The performance consisted of upbeat songs that were full of good cheer. 

“Assemblies are one of my favorite parts of being in Pep Band, and I always enjoy performing with my peers”, said Pep Band Member junior Scott Wong. 

Then, introduced by AHS Athletics Commissioner senior Matthew Le,  all AHS Varsity Winter sports (with the exception of Boys Soccer) were featured. The teams made videos showing off their achievements and hard work that were presented at the assembly. 

AHS Academics Commissioner senior Veronica Chen introduced the numerous academic teams at AHS, including Physics Team, Speech and Debate, Ocean Science Bowl, and more. 

Then ASB Pep Commissioners seniors Anya Yang and Zoe Bui hosted a game called Egg Roulette, where students from each grade had to choose between a hidden raw egg and a boiled egg. The game was played by students in all grades and was won by the seniors.

The game was followed by an animated performance by the Orchesis Dance Company called “Energia” by Sofi Tukker. The routine was choreographed by USA Camp staff members and also showcased at the Charity Dance Show back in December. 

“We initially learned this dance at the USA Camp over the summer and we love performing it every opportunity we get”, said Orchesis Member junior Filicia Wu. 

Their performance was followed by an exciting performance by AHS Pep Flags which was followed by the second game of the assembly which was played by all grades. 

The game was “What’s in the Box” and players had to utilize their sense of touch to guess what they were touching. Like the previous game, this game was also won by the seniors. 

Following the game was a performance by AHS Pep Cheer to various songs. With impressive stunts and choreography, the performance by Cheer was loved by many. 

Following the performance by Cheer was a game specifically for seniors. The game was called “Shake It Out” and was Senior Boys against Senior Girls. Representing the girls were Cici Wut and Peiling Yang and representing the boys were Varun Baskaran and Peter Le and the game was won by the girls. 

An energetic performance by Pep Song followed the game and was filled with striking turns and a breathtaking kickline. 

“We spent lots of hours working after school on this routine, especially the kickline. The routine was fast and it took lots of effort from everyone to perform it well”, stated Pep Song Member junior Claire Zhang. 

To end the assembly, the Alma Mater was played by Pep Band. 

Overall, this assembly was filled with fun games and cheer, and a lovely way to start the semester.

Photos courtesy of Henrina Zhang