Team Captain: Behind the Title

Ashley Chan, Staff Writer

Being team captain is one of the greatest achievements that an athlete can obtain. It’s an honor bestowed upon someone who is deemed to be the most dedicated, responsible, and consistent individual on the team.

Frankly, a good captain is just as important as a good coach. However, the title of team captain does not come without its pressures and struggles. Team captains are personally responsible for taking accountability for every performance, for leading the team to victory, and for being a constant role model for their teammates. Meaning, the team’s successes and failures fall upon them.

A team captain does not have to be the best player on the team nor the eldest. A captain does not have to be blessed with the same gifts as the other athletes on the team; some athletes have unbelievable speed, others are playmakers and lead scorers, but a captain does not have to fall under any of these categories. For a team captain is made to lead, inspire, and motivate.

Good team captains are selfless, sociable, hardworking, and reliable.

Selfless: Rather than trying to reach personal goals, team captains should work towards accomplishing the team’s goals. By having a selfless mindset, team captains can influence the team to work together for a common goal, instead of working separately and ineffectually.

Sociable: Team captains should be friendly and genuine towards the team, in order to win the trust of those around them. Without the trust and bond between teammates, a team is not going to be successful or run smoothly. This trust has to be developed and maintained by team captains who show that they care about everyone on the team. The best teams stem from their relationships with one another; it becomes a family, not just a team.

Hardworking: Hard work will always trump talent; without working hard, talent goes to waste. To foster a successful team environment, all players must have strong work ethics, and this pattern of dedication starts with the team captain. Good team captains have to step up and show the team that hard work will pay off. The team captain’s work ethic will rub off on the rest of the team and inspire them to follow suit.

Reliable: The best team captains are ones that the team can consistently rely on for strength and motivation. Team captains need to always be in a mindset where they strive to inspire their team even if the training is more exhausting than what everyone initially thought or the game is not going according to plan.

At Arcadia High School, all sports teams have appointed a team captain or multiple team captains. In honor of AHS team captains, athletes have explicitly expressed their appreciation for their constant supporters.

“The JV soccer team captains are Fizzy Panza and Destiny Farley,” junior Kailey Leba stated. “I would like to thank them for taking on leadership roles on the team, and for keeping the entire team accountable.”

“Currently, the varsity basketball team captains are Cayla Shyu and Melodie Manell. I want to thank them for keeping up the energy among the members and for stepping up for the betterment of the whole team,” states sophomore Alison Yamada.

Without a team captain, a team loses its purpose. Thank you to all team captains!

Photo courtesy of FREEPIK.COM